1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sure Glad I don't live near Yellowstone National Park

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by haymarket, Mar 15, 2005.

1. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Did anyone see (UK) the BBC documentary drama about the Super Volcano at Yellowstone National Park. They reckon it will be 2,500 times bigger than the Mount St Helen's Volcano.

And its due to go off !!!!

That'll bugger up the price of US real estate. They think the ash will cover 3/4 of the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/index.shtml

It was a good programme, though time to move if you live within 1000km of the Yellowstone Caldera, as you may only have 70,000 years before it explodes.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah I've seen it a few times on the discovery channel. The scary thing is that there are numerous super volcanos around the world, and scientists don't even know where all of them are.

the last one to erupt, toba, which erupted 80,000 years ago, reduced the human population to as little as 15 thousand. It is because of this huge disaster and major bottleneck of people that we all look so alike. Scientists have shown that for how long the human being species has been around, there should be a much wider variety of us, specifically our DNA structure, but its not.

And like you said, Yellowstone supervolcano erupts every 600,000 years, and the last one was approx. 600,000 years ago.

Yeah I got fascinated with this crap when I saw it and read all kinds of articles about it. Some scary shiznit. Makes me hope it doesn't erupt in my lifetime, cause I live in Southern California, so I'm pretty much 100% guaranteed dead, along with most of the US when it erupts.

edited 4 damn typo

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  3. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

You'll be OK - Bush will save you - I am surprised he hasn't attacked it yet as a weapon of Mass Destruction.

They guess that at least a billion people will die and then the world will be thrown in to the midst of a nuclear winter.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Ker"friggin'"boom. Just send in the army & nuke the place before it takes you out. Don't forget the potassium pills!

That should fix it.

5. thor999

thor999 Regular member

first we take over Italy, then yellowstone. Yellowstone might put up a fight though... Then we liberate France! we won't stop til all you f'ers have a mcdonalds and starbucks in your backyard BUSH RULES this country blows I'm moving to canada

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Amen to that comrade!

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as long as bush doesn't invade us for not going with the missile defence program

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

thats probably the most hurtful thing you could possible say...I'm moving to Canada. Do you have a room to rent ddp?

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

What will Bush save us from exactly? Free speech, civil liberties in the name of national security? Blair is "saving" us right at this moment. All I can say is thank God for the House of Lords!

(I NEVER thought I would EVER say that, BTW!)

Pulsar

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  10. ddp

djscoop, yes we have a spare room, just let me know ahead of time so we can talk money & are you allergic to cats & dogs as we have 2 of each

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sweet. yeah I have a dog and a cat myself (and 2 ferrets) so no prob with animals. Either the next country Bush invades, or the next stupid thing he does (which shouldn't take too long) and I'm outta here. I will have to adjust to the minus zero weather everday, as I look out my window to a beautiful sunny day here in so cal, but what the hell.

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I love cats, can I come & stay too............pleeeeaase?

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Please don't get me started on Bush and Blair. Its absolutely amazing how two world leaders can lie to the general public and still be in office. I think its sounding more like the United Corporations of American and Friends instead of USA and Britain!

ddp, got another room up there in Canada?

14. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I got so excited the other day. I forced my republican friend to watch F/911, and she was so shocked after that, she's as anti-bush as I am. As long as I can change one person's views, I am happy.

15. ddp

djscoop, it is sunny here & about plus 2 to 4 outside right now. my mother likes ferrets as we had 1 for a couple of years. she called it freddie the ferret & i called it freddy the freeloader!!
    pulsar, 1st come 1st serve but money 1st

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Nice one, cheers mate!

17. djscoop

djscoop Active member

mine are thelma and louise, because they get into so much damn trouble! great pets though. I had to drive to Vegas to get them, as they are illegal in cali. so its plus 4 there? so thats what, like 40 degrees F, right? Yeah, that'll definately take some getting used to. It would be cool to actually have a white Christmas though...

18. ddp

can always go into the mountains for a white christmas

19. djscoop

djscoop Active member

true. my Grandma used to live up in a place called Pine Mountain, which was a great place to go visit, but she moved a few years ago cause she got sick of the mountain driving and being so far away from her family. The only snow I see now is when my buddies and I drive 6 hours north to Mammoth Mountain for snowboarding.

20. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

I quite fancy the idea of going to Canada. DDP how many rooms do you have? Maybe we could set up an afterdawn commune! Ziggy - my dog would enjoy playing with all the ferrets. Why are they illegal in California?

I used to have a penfriend when I was at school called Darlene, she lives in Halifax Nova Scotia - she might have a room if ddp doesn't.