1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround sound problems

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by ydoolb, Jan 23, 2005.

1. ydoolb

ydoolb Guest

I bought a philips surround sound system with a built in dvd player. If i am playing a dvd on it, it works fine. When i hooked up my x-box i used the same dvd to test it. It separated the front from the back sounds, and the left from right on the front, but when it played the sounds in the back, left and right were coming from both speakers. Anybody know what i need to do to fix it?

2. wilky66

wilky66 Guest

what connector are you using? is it an official x-box lead .. does the philips reciever have a spare digital connecter?if so you need to purchase an x-box advanced scart cable part no. x08-25275....with optical output!!!also you will need an optical cable..connect to philips.. then connect scart this will give your video signal....alternatively connect video with phono lead which should come with x-box lead!!!this should sort any audio problems....

3. wilky66

wilky66 Guest

sorry ..should of mentioned settings on x-box!!make sure you set audio to (dolby digital) on the settings menu and does your philips support DTS audio?? if so turn this on as well........enjoy

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Are you using an optic cable for your sound?

5. dan2005

dan2005 Member

Hi Ydoolb,

Are you using RCA cable to connect the audio out from Xbox to audio in of your Philips? When you playback the disc on the Xbox, sound coming out from both left and right surround speakers althought you're playing a "Surround Left only" stream, right?

I think either the Philips system or the Xbox is a ProLogic system. ProLogic decoder produce mono surround only. For ProLogic II or IIx, you will get stereo surround.

6. wilky66

wilky66 Guest

x-box outputs dolby digital.DTS.when using correct cables. and menu settings are set correctly....worth taking some time to set up properly...sound on some games specially HALO..are fantastic

7. ydoolb

ydoolb Guest

sorry i took so long to reply but i did some reading and now i know the difference between pro logic surround and 5.1 and know i need a digital cable for 5.1 surround sound. But now i have another problem. I saw the coaxial hook up on the back of my receiver. the xbox advanced a/v cables uses an optical cable, and i thought i was screwed until i found a tutorial for adding a coaxial output for surround sound to the xbox on xbox-scene.com. I have a decent ability soldering, so i added one. I know i did it correctly because i tried it at a friends house and it worked. When i tried it on mine, I got no sound, so i checked and my receiver only has a digital coax out. Why would a receiver with a built-in dvd player wich already has 5.1 surround sound have a digital out and not a digital in. Now I am pissed because i went through all that trouble soldering and stuff for nothing. Is there any way to get around it without buying another receiver? Also, just want to say, even if i cant get true surround sound, Halo 2 in pro logic is a beautiful thing,..... just would be better in 5.1 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
  8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Give me the model # of your surround sound system and I'll look into to it. Till then set the xbox to dolby souround and disable Dolby digital and dts.

9. ydoolb

ydoolb Guest

it is a philips MX6050D. Still wondering why it would have a digital out and not a digital in since it already has a dvd player. thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
  10. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

It's in case you upgrade your surround sound system. You won't need another dvd player. I'll look into it.

11. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Sorry, the only inputs are RCA. The upside to a system like yours is the price. The downside is the inability to expand. I did find a region code mod for your system, but I wouldn't chance using it. Just in case here it is:

NO DISC

PLAY 159 0 237 939 0 PLAY

THEN THE PLAYER WILL RESET (BLUE SCREEN THEN THE PHILIPS DVD LOGO)

ENJOY!!!

[bold]Remember, I haven't tested this so use at your own discertion[/bold]

12. byngo

byngo Regular member

One thing you might want to check before you frig about trying to acheive the ultimate.
    You see, DVD movies have a digital sound track like Dolby 5.1 or DTS but in my experiance, DVD Games only go as far as pro-logic 2.
    You cannot hear what is not there in the first place!!!!!