1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound w/5.1 card, but only 2 speakers play

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Ecrivaine, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Ecrivaine

Ecrivaine Member

Help if you can. I am at the end of my wits.

Have Creative Sound Blaster LS 5.1 sound card installed in my brand new HP PC with Windows XP. Driver is updated, and card is shown as recognized and working fine in my Device Manager.

I have JUSTer 5.1 surround sound speakers, a subwoofer and five of them, but only two can be heard. If I leave the music off for long, there is a whining sound, and I have to turn it off and on to keep it from reappearing. Very annoying. When I did the audio test, the two front speakers played for both the sounds that were supposed to come from them and for the rear speakers. The rear and center never made any sounds.

I have them positioned all diagonally facing each other in a square kind of configuration, and my subwoofer is about 2-1/2 feet above my CPU and about a foot right of my monitor.

When I installed my sound card, I had a choice of two emtpy PCI slots. In one slot, it would not even be recognized, in the next emtpy one, there supposedly was a conflict between it and another device's resources, but there was no info on it. I finally took the modem card and put it into another slot and put the sound card in the modem's slot; and it was finally recognized and all seemed well.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jen

2. bajtra

bajtra Member

First thing to do is make sure you have the latest bios update on your motherboard, and update all your drivers to the latest versions.

3. mcclink

mcclink Guest

Have you set them up in Windows to play 5.1 or just left them set at stereo speakers. Go to control panel-sounds and check

4. Ecrivaine

Ecrivaine Member

Yes, I had already set my speakers up to play in 5.1 surround sound, and although my PC is brand new, I will check on the BIOS update for the motherboard. Thanks.

5. azn_kda

azn_kda Regular member

try setting up your speaker, see if the matrix is turn on or check the back of the sub, cuz sometime it could be set to 4.1 or 5.1 ...