1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suse 10.1 help

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Griffins, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Griffins

Griffins Member

hello, I am new to linux and after weeks of debating which one(distro)to try I finally found suse 10.1 and partitioned about 10 Gig of my hd and everything went well. so i am now running 2 os, the problem comes when I tried to go online with linux for some reason can't connect online with firefox I tried messing around with it and seaching on the web with no luck, obviously I am doing someting wrong should I reinstall it? any help will be very much appreciated

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, first off, you need to get OpenSuSE 10.2 as it fixes some very critical errors, and secondly you might need additional drivers for your network card to work, especially if it's a wireless card, so you'd need to download and compile/install Ndiswrapper.

3. Griffins

Griffins Member

thanks, but I just got that disc off e-bay not too long ago, is there another quicker way to get that upgrade? I am not using a wireless connection so do I still need a to update anything else to get the internet connection to work. really that's what i am after thank you for you help

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You PAYED for free software ? you're kidding me, right ?
    As for needing the updated version, unless you don't mind being a sitting duck, then you REALLY NEED to get the update.
    If you want to get OpenSuSE for free, like you should, then just google it's name.
    Same goes for NdisWrapper.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I can't even get suse 10.1 to boot properly.. It's broken as I found back at the weekend.
    Opensuse 10.2 remastered is probably one of the best and most stable linux distros out there at the moment. Even a total computer n00b had a great time with it before, because of compatability with work applications, they were forced to go XP. Unfortunately wine wasn't an alternative for the particular software which made native hardware calls.

Here is the download page. http://download.opensuse.org/
    Make sure to get the right one for your hardware.

6. Griffins

Griffins Member

thanks for the link, but being a novice with linux, i don't know what i am looking at once I opened the link. how do i figured out which download to choose between the live dvd, 86, ppc, x86-64 ect thanks for the help.

7. vasudan00

vasudan00 Member

Grif,

If you are using a PC with a non-64 bit chip, download this one here.
    If you are using a PC with a 64 bit chip, download this one here.

I personally use OpenSUSE 10.2 myself and love it.

Hope that helps!

8. Griffins

Griffins Member

hey guys, thanks for the help still trying to get somewhere with my linux installation. since it was recommended to go for the suse 10.2 i downloaded the iso image and burned it on a disc, so when i restart my desktop it boots from the burned disc no problem, from there i follow this instruction i got from here http://en.opensuse.org/INSTALL_Internet
    nothing is working from here!! I put in the IP and the directory nothing
    obviously i am doing something wrong since i am still staring at the blue screen of death!! please help a brotha out thanks

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Is this the iso you downloaded and burned?

openSUSE-10.2-GM-i386-mini.iso

The instructions on the page seem simple enough, but I dunno any more because I have no spare hardware to test on currently.

The full disk install is 6 cd's. I would recommend going that way if you are having connectivity problems. r/w cd's will do just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  10. Griffins

Griffins Member

hey guys i am back, finally got openSUSE-10.2-GM-i386-mini.iso going. went through the installation smoothly until i got to the network configuration part. for some reason my dsl device is not being recognized in linux. is there a way around this?

11. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

No, if your card, router or modem isn't supported, you'll need to install from a full cd set, or a dvd.

12. Griffins

Griffins Member

thank you very for your quick response, about that i have the full version of suse 10.1 on dvd that was my first installation and still wasn't able to get online. so how is this different this time around with suse 10.2 thank you for your help

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

It's a problem with drivers for your "dsl device" Can you post details?

14. Griffins

Griffins Member

holy crap!!! my people I got online don't ask me how but damn!! i'm loving it already huge difference from xp! for now i will just try to get familiar with it and try to find my way around it. thanks for all the support and you know i will be back again thanks

15. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Maybe your system needed time to set up the connection and initiate all hardware.
    Try restarting the system, see if it works without any glitches.