1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SUSE 8.0

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by m_ceberus, Mar 31, 2007.

1. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

Is there anyone out there at all that can tell me where i can find Suse 8.0 to acquire? Any help would be appreciated. I searched distrowatch.com, and other sites but i just can not seem to find Suse 8.0 to download. It is one of the most difficult things to come by apparently. If anyone can shed some light on this one way or the other, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Why do you want an antique?
    It will have been removed from the mirrors literally years ago,
    I know my way around and the oldest I can find is 9.2

Your only hope is to find somebody with a disk they can give you..
    Is there a reason you need this ancient and discontinued distro?

3. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

Thank you for responding to my posting so quickly. The crux of the matter is that I have an older laptop that would not install the 9.2 version of Suse, but I know it would certainly be able to handle 8.0 without a doubt. There are a host of other versions of linux i know can also work on there, but please forgive me for saying that i am a stickler for Suse as I am well aquainted with it and also I am curious to see how the older versions of Suse stack up and compare to the other one i have. What it comes down to is that it is more of something I would really like to try as i do enjoy the challenges it has to offer and any help you can provide me on the matter as to the acquisition of Suse would again, be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Sorry.. spent the last hour or so scouring all the archive repositories.. no joy.

I linked this question to a couple of *nix buddies, you never know.. one of them may just have the very disk hiding away somewhere.

Personally I would install damnsmalllinux, for performance and speed, but it's debian based, so I know you wouldn't like it.

5. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

Your assistance is greatly appreciated and thank you for taking some time out to aid me in my quest. I have googled in every conceivable way, in multiple search engines, multiple keywords and anything that mankind can ever possibbly devise and it continues to be the elusive unicorn. Tried even isohunt and emule but to no avail. If anyone of your friends have an answer do let me know. Is there any additional information you require from me to facilitate you getting it to me should your search prove to be fruitful?

Thank you.

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Being an SuSE guy, i might have this lying around somewhere, IF i still have it, i'll stick it on a Uni FTP site for you and drop the link here.

7. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

That is the first glimmer of hope that this thing actually does exist somewhere since as you probably already read it is nigh near impossible for me to find. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you have it!

Thanks fellow Suse guy

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

The verdict is in... And it's a bad one : i only have discs of the PPC versions of SuSE 8, the next set of discs is from 9.2 and up.
    I'll ask around @ work, but don't hope for too much.

9. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

I'll try not to get my hopes up but even if you do not succeed, I would just like to thank you for your efforts concerning this matter. I searched ebay last night and it is on sale there. I do not understand why some people would try to make a profit off something that is supposed to be universally free. Of course with the limited possiblities it stands to reason why someone would want to profit from this.

Anyway, thanks go out to everyone who aided me on this matter. And if i should ever find myself with one copy of suse 8.0, i'll be sure to share it with whosoever needs it just to screw with those who want to profit from something like this. This is probably how microsoft got started, at the detriment of someone else.

Thanks!!!

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Unfortunately same here.. A disk of suse 6 which is missing disk2, and 9.2 on..

I'm waiting on a response to a "wanted" request on a few linux forums.
    I don't think we keep things like this much after shelf life has expired so to speak.

The big problem seems to be that suse have been bought out and have removed all older versions (quite recently actually) to comply with the new owners wishes.

11. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

You are quite right. I recall that Novell is the company that had bought the rights to Suse and I guess the ramifications of the buy out were such that any version(s) prior to the time of Novell acquiring Suse would be removed which would explain why one can only find 9.2 and above on their (Novell's) website. It is indeed a difficult find to acquire, this Suse 8.0. Your help is greatly appreciated for this Suse addict.