1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD and VBR

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Metallo, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Metallo

Metallo Member

Hi,

I have converted an AVI to MPEG 2 using TMPGE and setting the values of bitrate to:

2-Pass VBR
    Average bitrate 900
    Maximum bitrate 2650
    Minimum bitrate 350
    Enable padding not to be lower than bitrate: disactivated
    P = 0
    B = 20

The movie has a fps of 23.976and the conversion in PAL.
    The movie is 101 minutes long.

The quality that came out is not acceptable, is it because the average bitrate is too low? This is the value I got from the calculator.
    In fact, the dimension of the file surprised me because it is 825 Mb and therefore I could burn it on a sincle CD (99 min).
    But I prefer to have 2 CDs and the higher quality of SVCD.

Can you help?

Thank you!

2. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

Your assumption that the average bitrate is too low is correct. That bitrate probably wouldn't even look good if it were a CBR VCD. I'm a little more convservative with my variable bitrates than you so I would use Max 2520, AVG 1920, and MIN 300. I use those MIN/MAX values for compatiblility reasons between different players. Anyhow, the average rate I listed will produce a 2 disc SVCD. If you don't already have one, get a bitrate calculator.