1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

svcd bin/cue --> vcd :: wanting various opinions please

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lmcvity, Jan 24, 2003.

1. lmcvity

lmcvity Member

have an svcd movie in bin/cue format that i'd like to convert to vcd. i realize i'm going to lose quality, but my home dvd player will only play vcd.

if this was your predicament, how would you go about producing the vcd as to obtain the highest quality possible?

as you can prob. tell, since i'm asking this question, i'm very new to the scene and need fairly detailed explanations if possible. especially in regards to which programs you'd be using along the way, as well as any settings YOU feel (as an expert) are essential to be tweaked!

take this as an opportunity to put your preferred programs, encoders on a pedestal.

please give a guy a hand, and share your expertise!

thanks,

lane

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Only tool you really need is TMPGEnc, as it produces the best quality for MPEG-1 encoding (CCE SP is unbeatable in MPEG-2, but that's not an issue now when we're talking about VCD).

Extract the MPEG-2 files from the SVCD, various options there, such as using Daemon Tools and copying the files.

Demultiplex the MPEG-2 file into separate audio and video streams with TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools as you want to preserve the already-in-correct-format audio that is in SVCD.

Re-encode the .m2v video into .m1v using TMPGEnc's VCD template, remember to pick the same format as the SVCD was in (NTSC, PAL, NTSCFilm). Tweak the encoding settings so that the aspect ratio is correct (some SVCDs use anamorphic encoding, although very few) and simply encode.

Finally multiplex the .mp2 into .m1v and you shall have a VCD compatible MPEG-1. Burn as instructed in our article section's guides.

3. lmcvity

lmcvity Member

thanks so much for the rapid reply! it all sounds a bit overwhelming, but i'm going to give it a shot, as well as try any other input i get on this topic.

so, any others out there have a differing opinion, or anything else to add to this?

thanks again,

lane