1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD resolution to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by calbond, Sep 5, 2004.

1. calbond

calbond Member

Hi
    I have an avi at resolution 512 x 384. I would like to burn it to an NTSC DVD. I ran it through TMPENGC and tried originally just setting the output file to 720 x 480, thought maybe the 'squishing' wouldn't be too noticeable, but the resulting m2v file looked like garbage. The colors were off and it looked like it had been severley compressed.

I then generated an m2v at the original resolution in TMPGENC (512 x 384), authored the DVD using DVDAuthor GUI, and burnt using Nero. The result plays in my DVD player and the picture looks fine, except for some reason it is 'blown up'- ie not only are the left and right of the screen cut off but the top and bottom are too. Imagine if the TV tube was about 5 - 10% extended on both the sides and top and bottom, then the whole picture would fit.

Next I tried using the same m2v file (512 x 384) but authoring with IFOedit (had read on another board it might work for specifically this case), but got the same results.

Lastly I tried monkeying around with DVD patcher to change the resolution (made a backup of the avi), but this didn't seem to work at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything I can try? Thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

There are other Valid DVD Resolutions becides 720+480..
    You can also use 352+480 and 352+240.....

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

But if you have to change the resolution (for example, to enlarge the movie 512-->740 384-->480), maybe a SVCD (or even a VCD, if your DVD unit cannot read SVCDs well) will go even better?