1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

svcd to dvd is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by isomaster, Oct 10, 2003.

1. isomaster

isomaster Member

i have a perfect copy of a movie it's a dvdrip picture good and audio good on 2 cd's svcd format.
    my question is if i do everything correctly when encoding it is it worth it to put to dvd-r will the quality be the same if it's done correctly
    i would normally it's just because the pic and audio is so good and i prefer working with dvd-r
    any input appreciated

Graham

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well there will be a quality loss you'd have to try to keep that at its lowest, what are you planning on using to encode?

3. isomaster

isomaster Member

hi Dela,

i was going to use tmpenc i also have cce and procoder, procoder is way slower but has good results and cce is greek to me at the minute still trying to get my head round avisynth lol which one would you encode with?

thanks

Graham

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Don"t re-encode the File because you don"t have to Because you can Burn SVCD"s to DVD without Re-encodeing so there is absolutly no Quality loss...There are a Bunch of ways to Put SVCD"s on to DVD-R but the Absolute best way is to use a Program called "DVD-Lab" it will author your SVCD"s to DVD and resample the audio to 48000hz but I find it best to re-encode the audio myself to AC3...You can add Menu"s and Chapters and all other DVD Features to the DVD..I have backed my Whole SVCD Collection of over 400 Disks to DVD this way and they all worked Great and you can get up to 3 Movies on each DVD-R...It is definately worth it if you do it this way...Cheers

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

hmm will that sort out the resolution problem though? since 480x480(576) isnt dvd standard!

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

There isn"t really a Resolution Problem ,as all of the DVD Players that I have Played these DVD"S on work Fine and DVD Lab actually authors these Files as 480+480/576-pal DVD"s, Other Methods of Authoring SVCD Files to DVD Involve Patching the header of the SVCD File to DVD Specs so that the DVD authoring Program to accept the File, But doing it this way the SVCD Files get authored as Standard DVD"s so the DVD Player is actually expecting a Standard DVD, with DVD-Lab it authors the SVCD"s files as 480+480/576-Pal DVD so the DVD Player is actually expecting a 480+480/576 Resolution file which greatly increases the compatibility of these DVD"s...DVD-Lab has 2 ways of authoring SVCD"s to DVD, one way it authors the SVCD"s Files as standard 720+480/576 DVD"s But My DVD Player had problems with some of these DVD"s But the other setting authors them as 480+480/576-pal DVD"s which for me made them play in all 3 of my DVD players..I think DVD-Lab writes the IFO File differently in these 2 different settings so as to achieve better compatibility with DVD Players...I hope I explained this correctly.....Cheers

7. gkrshnn

gkrshnn Member

isomaster,

I had a Britcom in SVCD format on 2 CDs and I got tired of swapping discs, so I put the two CDs in one DVD. The quality was exactly the same as the SVCD.