1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

svcd to dvd methods?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by polski-, Apr 11, 2005.

1. polski-

polski- Member

i personally use TMPGEnc to convert svcds to dvd but I was wondering if there are better/quicker methods? thanks for the input!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Why Yes, there is a Much Better Method of Putting SVCD Files on to DVD and it doesn"t involve encodeing at all...

Re-encodeing the SVCD Files to DVD is Just a waste of Time and it Ruins the Quality and Increases the File size...

I used the Following Method to Back up my 400 movie SVCD Collection to DVD and I was able to Put all 400 Movies on less than 125 DVD-R"s with absolutly no Quality Loss....

OK...Here"s what you do...First extract the Mpeg-2 files from your SVCD"s and save them on your Hard Drive...

Most SVCD Movies are usually on 2 or 3 CD-R"s so you should Join all of the Parts together into a single Movie...I suggest you use something like "Womble Mpeg2VCR" to Join the Files as it is Fast and doesn"t affect the Quality....

Now you need to have "MediaChance DVDLab" or "MediaChance DVDLab Pro" installed and Just Load your SVCD movie into DVDLab and it will Demux the File into seperate audio and Video files and then it will resample the audio to 48000hz which is needed for DVD...

Now it will let you add your Menu"s and Chapters and Author the Movies to DVD...You will Probably have to read the Instruction Manual first to Learn how to add your Chapters and menu"s But it isn"t Hard once you get used to it...

Doing it this way you get a Non-Standard DVD but it is authored in such a way that it should Play on 99% of all DVD Players Pluss you can Fit up to 3 Full SVCD movies on a Single DVD-R...

You can also use the "Pro" version to Put VCD movies on to DVD without re-encodeing (There is no need because VCD"s are allready 100% DVD Compliant accept for the audio which gets resampled to 48000hz) and got 5 or more Movies on a DVD without any Quality Loss from the Original VCD Files....

This Method is so Quick and easy that I can have 3 SVCD Movies ripped off of there disks and Joined and authored to DVD and be watching them in under an Hour ....

Cheers

PS: DVDLab and DVDLab Pro are the only DVD authoring programs that do this Pluss they are 2 of the best DVD Authoring programs in there Class out there....
    You can download a 30 day Fully working Trial version at :

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/

3. MagicianH

MagicianH Member

Excellent advice but when I preview the file in WMP or similar it is across top section of dcreen in three halves! How do I get it to correct playback format.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Don"t use "Windows Media Player" to playback DVD Files because it doesn"t display DVD Video Correctly because it ignores Aspect Ratio Flags...Use a Software DVD Player Like WinDVD or PowerDVD and it will display the Video the way it will look on your TV Set....

I Don"t understand what you mean by "the Top section if the screen is in 3 Halves"???

5. MagicianH

MagicianH Member

Thanks. It's ok I managed to sort that out, but now (I'll get there in the end!) what I get now is when I use DVDLab to transcode the 44K audio to 48K I get a file which is only upto 31minutes or so and the film clip is about 40minutes so the last bit of the clip is missing sound--- ~Is there another program that can transcode to 48K without missing chunks off the end? - Strange thing is another film transcodes perfectly... (Also the oringinal Audio clip, before it is transcoded plays the full 40minutes audio? -) Any suggestions would be appreciated...

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you can resample the audio to 48000hz Manually...You would Rirst have to bemux the audio from the Mpeg file and then you would just resample the audio to 48000hz useing an audio encoder...

You can actually use Tmpgenc to do all of this...
    To demux the File you go to "File" to "Mpeg tools" to "Simple Demultiplex" and then Load in your Mpeg file and then click "Run" and in a few Minutes you will have a Mpa audio file and a M2V Video file...Now load the Mpa audio file into Tmpgenc as the audio source and were it says "Stream Type" select "Audio Only" ...Now click the "Setting" button at the Bottom Right and in the audio tab set the Frequency to "48000hz" and the audio format to "Mpeg-1 Layer-2" and then click "OK" at the Bottom and then click "Start" at the Top left and in a few Minutes you will have a New Mpa audio file(It could also be mp2)....

Now load the M2V Video file and the Resampled Mpa audio file into DVDLab and author them to DVD.....

Cheers

7. JA9791

JA9791 Member

I did the dvdlab svcd 2 dvd conversion using this guide:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/svcd_to_dvdr_from_cds.cfm

The problem is that my svcd is PAL 25framerate 720x576. After setting my project in dvdlab to ntsc the dvd does not play in my dvd player. How would I turn it to ntsc compatible. I use the same svcd movie with winavi and it converted it to ntsc and that dvd worked but I would prefer the DVDlab method. Any help?

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you have 2 Problems here that will prevent you from useing DVDLab to put this File on to DVD in NTSC Format....

the First problem is that SVCD Files do not use the 720+576 resolution that is the Standard Resolution for a Pal DVD..

The other Problem is that the File is Pal and you can not author it as a NTSC File unless you encode it to NTSC first....

The only thing I can suggest is to Author it as a Pal DVD and see if your DVD Player will Play it otherwize you will have to encode it to NTSC first....

Cheers

9. MagicianH

MagicianH Member

Cheers for all your help an all Minion, I managed to resample sound at 48K through Tmpeg easily like you suggested and have a working DVD - Wey hey! - One last thing though, when I try and join the original SVCD files with Avi Rm Joiner or Easy Avi Joiner(once converted to Mpeg with VCD easy) the files don't seem to timecode correctly and you have a file which is say 1hr40minutes but runs like 52:01 then to 00:01, which wouldn't be a problem but I can't play the damn thing in order on my DVD player it simply skips back to previous chapters, the only way I can get round this is if I leave the two files unjoined and create 2xseperate movies with DVD-lab, which works OK but is not ideal.... Any suggestions? - Thanks again for all your help.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

What I suggest is to not use a Crappy Joiner like the Ones you are useing...
    I suggest when working with Mpeg files that you use a Native Mpeg editor to edit and Join files, Like the 2 Best Mpeg editors are "Womble Mpeg2VCR" and "Womble Mpeg Video Wizard" both of Which are Very Good and Fast Mpeg editors and with the "Mpeg Video Wizard" you can even add effects and Transitions to your Mpeg files without affecting the quality and the Rendering takes just a couple of Minutes...

You can Probably even get a Better Join useing the "Merge & Cut" Feature in "Tmpgenc Pluss" if you wanted But if you do Just make sure that the Joined File is in Sync....

Cheers

11. MagicianH

MagicianH Member

That makes sense, cheers, I can't really afford Womble but can VCD Easy join mpegs better as that would be more 'Native' as you say...

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

If VCD Easy can Join mpeg files then try it....It has been a while since I have used VCD easy so I don"t really know what features it has but if you have it and it says that it can join Mpeg files then try it......

Cheers

13. shiroh

shiroh Guest

if your dvd player can read it as data files, just slap it on as data disc. :)

the mpeg2 streams

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2005
  14. NFSU2

NFSU2 Member

So how can you extract the mpeg-2?

15. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

ISO Buster.

16. MagicianH

MagicianH Member

Or DVD Lab. Follow the instructions above...