1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD to DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by chabs, Jul 24, 2002.

1. chabs

chabs Member

I have been trying for about a week now every single way I have found to put a svcd format video onto dvd and can not seem to get it to work in any of my dvd players. I have did virtually everything and tried every way that I have read in all the forums on how to do this but still get a no disc message or no play message. I have also tried almose all authoring programs and other ways such as nero or prassi to burn a image etc.. Both of my dvd players play svcd backups on normal cdr media and dvdr backups on dvdr media but I cant seem to get the svcd to work on dvdr media. Is there something I can do in settings somewhere or anything else to make this work? Its driving me crazy! Thanks for any info.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

3. chabs

chabs Member

Yes my dvd players both play dvd-r i've played movies on dvd-r before and I have tried the method in the www address that you provided.

4. dRD

Well, the method is hack anyway and is not supposed to work even that it does with many players, so only real option left is to re-encode the video. Unfortunately.

5. chabs

chabs Member

I've even tried re-encoding a small svcd format video and I still get no play message.

6. dRD

Do it like this:

Use DVD2AVI, open the MPEG-2 file, save project, open TMPGEnc, load the .d2v file, select DVD template, encode, demux the audio from the original mpeg-2, author the files, burn.

..or alternatively, if you have cyberlink (powerdvd), ligos or sony DVD decoder/player on your computer, you can load the MPEG-2 directly into TMPGEnc, skipping the DVD2AVI step and go from there.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2002
  7. chabs

chabs Member

Ok I tried what you suggested and still got the no play message and then I went to vcdhelp.com and downloaded a dvd sample which is a NTSC DVD with 3 video samples, a dolby digital trailer, a VCD MPEG sample authored as dvd, a SVCD MPEG2 sample authored as dvd and a basic menu. It says to note that the menu and the dolby digital trailer should work on all players but the VCD and SVCD samples may not. I burnt it and gave it a try and still got the no play message. I am totally confused on why its not working because I burnt Blade II on a dvdr which I downloaded and it works fine! Any ideas?

8. dRD

It might be media issue -- DVD players tend to be picky of the disc brands they play.

9. chabs

chabs Member

The media I am using is the same media I burnt blade II on that works fine.

10. neil_sue

neil_sue Guest

i had an issue with media on jumping chapters on my panasonic standalone ( over 10 attempts with crunching with no success ) but as I went down the spindle of blanks suddenly they started to work o.k so the moral of this little tale is what worked one day isn't always going to work the next day ( so try a different media )

11. chabs

chabs Member

Tried different media and also a re-writable dvd-rw and still get the same problem no play message for anything I have tried but the blade II movie works with every one. I was wondering if there is a certain file structure that may be causing the problem because I know with SVCD's my dvd player only plays them when I burn the svcd with nero. I have noticed the structure was a bit different with different software and did not work with others.