1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

svcd to dvd

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by agreived, Oct 30, 2004.

1. agreived

agreived Member

Anyone know a simple program to change a vcd/svcd to dvd format

2. Molder

Molder Regular member

What format is the vcd/svcd in, I would guess mpeg 1 with a low bit rate.

You could reencode the mpeg with TMPGenc at DVD bit rate, but the quality will only be as good as the original, it will not make the quality any better.

I guess you just want to put a couple of Vcd/Svcd on one disc.

M

3. agreived

agreived Member

Molder,
    The svcd is an mpeg2 format and i want to either convert to a divx/xvid or a dvd format with a simple to use tool.Im open to suggestions.

4. oliblake

oliblake Member

im trying to put an SVCD mpg2 on to dvd with DVD lab, but i cant get it to use all the dvd space... is it possible to get it to fill up a dvd?

5. agreived

agreived Member

If you can turn your mpeg2 file to avi/divx or xvid and then use dvd santa to turn it to dvd format dvd santa encodes the avi to its maximum...i.e. about 4300mb.The trick is to find a program to turn your svcd to avi first...which is what im looking for.

6. Molder

Molder Regular member

agreived,
    Your first post,
    didn't say you wanted to convert to .avi.

My understanding is DVD translates to Digital Versatile Disc, it is the means in which the disc is utilised as opposed to a file format.

I know something like Ulead Video Studio 8 (or most NLE) will reencode to .avi, but it will only look as good as the original. Another bonus using a NLE is that you can author as well.

M

7. agreived

agreived Member

I didnt make myself too clear originally so ill try again.SVCD is mpeg2 and i want to convert this to avi/divx/xvid so i can then convert to dvd.I dont know of a program which can simply change mpeg2 to dvd.There's plenty avi to dvd converters and i was wondering if there was a program to do what i want.
    What does NLE mean ?

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Roxio EMC7 will burn your MPEG2 to DVD as will Nero. If it is SVCD, the quality won't be as good as if you captured the video directly as an MPEG2, because burning it as a SVCD reduces the quality right off the bat.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bruce Wallace
    Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

3.06 Ghz Intel P4 CPU
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    1Gig Corsair 3200 LLPro DDR Ram
    Plextor PX 708A DVD Burner
    Sony CRX320E DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card
    Audigy2 Platinum[/small]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  9. Molder

Molder Regular member

Agrieved,
    Sorry NLE = Non Linear Edit, can I ask why you want to do that?

The SVCD will play in your DVD player.

Converting to avi and the like will not improve the quality.

Ask I asked above , why? I don't mean to be nosey but I don't know, why.

M

10. agreived

agreived Member

I like dvd format.I dont like svcd or vcd.
    DVD Santa will change avi to dvd.
    Cucusoft will change avi to dvd.
    All im asking is if there are programs out there to change svcd/vcd to either avi/divx/xvid or dvd.Seems a reasonable question to me.

11. Molder

Molder Regular member

Dude,
    I wasn't having a go or anything, and yes a reasonable question. i just didn't know why you wanted to put a 700 meg file onto a 4 gb disc, that why I said in an early post that you may want to put many files together to make a compilation as such.

Sorry if I offened you.

M

12. agreived

agreived Member

No offence taken molder and apologies for my tone but i was getting frustrated at not beig able to get my question across.Hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

13. agreived

agreived Member

Just to say to anyone following this thread Cucusoft have brought out an MPEG2 TO VOB program on the 28th Oct. which is a free download so theoretically i can now change SVCD TO DVD.Willlet you know how it goes.

14. MysticE

MysticE Active member

NeroVision Express, part of Nero 6 will do it easily. You can stack almost anything you want (mpeg1/2, VOB's, AVI etc.) and in any combo, (including PAL and NTSC).

15. brk

brk Member

Just been having this type of fun myself ,read several guides on how to convert SVCD to DVD and all of them come up a bit dodgy .Following guides still doesn't get me there ,I get the needed files then they won't go back together in the Authoring program .Search for a progam called SVCD2DVD .You get a trial version that will join 2 SVCD disks together and convert them straight to the necessary DVD folders (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS) ready to burn onto DVDr.The full version is available for £10 GB or $20 US by way of a donation and is then free to upgrade for the rest of time.Tried loads of programs like DVDSanta which never seem to sync the sound and video .In its trial version it leaves you with a finished burnable DVD , does all the converting joining ,remuxing etc in about 20 mins or so .The full version lets you do larger files and has no restrictions but the trial happily joins a 2 Disk SVCD into a DVDR without problems.