1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD to VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by darshan, Feb 20, 2003.

1. darshan

darshan Member

Hey guyz,
    Well I have this svcd movie with me, hoever I want to watch it on my VCD player..for which I need to convert it to VCD format...how do i go about doing that ?PLEASE HELP ME...I AM DESPERATE!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2003
  2. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

you need to reenncode the video with tmpgenc, but to do this you need a special plugin you can get it here http://www.marumo.ne.jp/mpeg2/ and yes i know it the page isnt in english but just download this file m2v_vfp-0.6.23.lzh and extract all the files to the tmpgenc folder from what i can remember you just run the conf file then hit cancel and just use tmpgenc as normal (look at the guides on this site

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Now, you said you have an svcd with you!! But you could have said whether it was on disks already or just files on your computer. If its on disks, use this method!

Download VCDEasy http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/vcdeasy.cfm

When you have it installed, open it and click tools, then click mpeg tools! At the end you will see cdxa2mpeg. Click the "dat file" button and browse to the svcd disk. Look for the foler MPEGAV and open it. Inside it there should be a .dat file (or there could be a few!). Usually there is one called AVSEQ01.DAT (could be .mpg aswell). If so then double click it. Now click MPEG File and this time go to a folder you want to save the svcd .mpg file in and type a filename and click save! Now click convert

After a few minutes there will be a file capable of being opened in TMPGEnc!

If it cant be opened then get the plugin fixit mentioned!

TMPGEnc - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/tmpgenc.cfm

Ok so now the obvious thing to do is re-encode the file for VCD but you still might have another option. Instead of re-encoding the file straight away and loosing some quality, why not try a vcd header trick?? A VCD header trick will make the vcd player think its playing VCD! Its very easy to do! In TMPGEnc, click file - mpeg tools! If you're not already in the "Simple Multiplex" tab then click it! Click the browse button beside video source and find the file you just saved with VCDEasy, this should load in the video and audio source but if it doesnt, do the same for audio source! Now it should have also filled in an output but chances are the file will be exactly the same name and that may cause tmpgenc to crash so simply put a 2 on it or something (eg filename2.mpg). Now that you have done that, change type to MPEG-1 Video CD (non-standard). Now click RUN. The file saved will have a VCD header.

To burn this file you need Nero Burning Rom! In nero start a new Video CD Compilation. Click File - Compilation Info. Click the Video CD tab and untick the "create standard compilant cd" tickbox. Now because this wont be standard, nothing says it will work, but it might and its worth taking a chance! When you've that done, click ok! Now simply drag the .mpg file you created with TMPGEnc from the file browser (usually on the right) to the compilation window. It will analyze the file and may tell you its non standard but just tick continue! Now click file - write cd. Check the cd in your vcd player and if it works then great but if it doesn't, it worth a shot! Now the only thing can do is re-encode the file to standard VCD!

Thats very easy, in TMPGEnc, just click file - Project Wizard. Select a VCD option (NTSC for America and PAL for Europe and Austrailia). Everything else from there is very easy, just loading in your files really! When TMPGEnc is finished encoding you will have a standard vcd file that can be burned with nero also!

4. darshan

darshan Member

Well, Thankx for helping me, but as you said I should have had mentioned as to the svcd is on my disk or my harddisk...the explanation you have given me is for the disk...so can you please tellme what to do now >?
    thankx.

5. darshan

darshan Member

oops, forgot to add...its on my harddisk!!!
    and btw i tried the method told to me by "fixit", but when it put it to convert it told me 20 HRS REMAINING!!!
    does it take so long usually ??...I mean I have a P4 with 256 sd ram..so I dont think my machine is slow!!

6. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

20 hours is way to long check MOTION SEARCH PRECISION setting in the mpeg settings template set this to HIGH QUALITY (SLOW) the highest setting takes twice as long to do and doesnt improve the picture quality by much so it isnt really worth it, if you are using the project wizard its under the expert settings on the third or fourth window of the wizard,

7. Dela

darshan, In TMPGEnc, before you encode, click settings, click the advanced tab. You will see an option to tick called "Source Range". Tick the box beside it, a new popup should come up but if it doesnt, double click source range!

Click "Move to start frame" and click "set start frame". Click "Move to end frame" and click "set end frame". Now click ok and see will the estimated time remaining be any less!

If its not then I have a question, how did the SVCD file get on your computer??

8. darshan

darshan Member

(Dela)- Well I downloaded the svcd from the net!! ;)
    If I do follow your way of converting through VCDeasy, well when I click on convert I get the following error...Cdxa2mpeg.exe execution failed..unknown chunk id encountered (The file is not a MPEG with riff header [.dat file])

what do you think the problem is....(btw ur source range thing worked fine it reduced the hrs to juss 3 )

(Fixit) - I tried by doing your way too, I mean after I click on "START"...it starts encoding for a while then I get the following error "read error occured at address 01C2AA2B of module 'm2v.vfp' with OB4635A0 "...

whats wrong out here ???

9. Dela

A .dat files with riff headers is what is on the disk after you burn the SVCD so obviously you got a file that was already treaded with cdxa2mpeg.

10. darshan

darshan Member

Oh ok,but eveb when i start encoding...I mean it encodes well somtimes till 30 % or sometimes 70 % and then I get the error which I have mentioned above !!!

11. Dela

Thats odd and does the file play no problem for ya?

12. darshan

darshan Member

I mean I can view the 70% that has been encoded...but as I said after a certain percent it gives the following error..."read error occured at address 01C2AA2B of module 'm2v.vfp' with OB4635A0 "...

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

VCD player? I guess your not from the USA? We call them dvd players, lol. Are you absolutely, positively 100% sure your "VCD" player can't play SCVD format? VCD video quality really sucks and you would be better off watching the converted SVCD on pc (honest to God truth). Take a close look at your remote and see if you can find the "PBC" function. If there is one, most likely it will play SVCD format. Also look at your "VCD" player and see what formats it can play before converting to VCD. If you have to convert, encoding time "primarily" depends on the speed of your processor. If it takes 20 hours to do so, don't get too upset as you are after the best video quality you can get (VCD).

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2003
  14. Dela

Shoey, actually you can buy vcd players believe it or not!! A friend has one, kicks ass at playing (s)vcd but cant play dvd!

darshan, actually what i asking is, can you view the file before you encode it, as in the full movie you have??

15. darshan

darshan Member

Well, yes I can view the movie before I encode it, btw windows media player does not support svcd so I play it on WinDvd.

16. Dela

darshan, you got the mpeg-2 plug-in ye???

17. darshan

darshan Member

you mean the one fixit told me to download ?
    If yes, then well I downloaded it and pasted it in the tmpge folder....

dela is you dont mind can I have your msn or yahoo messenger contact...I think that would be a faster way to help me out...!!

18. Dela

I'd give it but i gave it to a lot of ppl before and i shouldn't have, lol, dont get me wrong most of them were alright, the others decided to tell people about my email address every time something was wrongf and it was hell!!

19. darshan

darshan Member

lol, dont worry I woudnt do that....but anywayz its your call...

by the codec did you mean the one fixit told me download ?

20. Dela

Ye I Did