1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD-VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by cwl, Jun 19, 2003.

1. cwl

cwl Member

I am a newbie so please bear with me.

Is there a noticeable diffference in quality between VCD and SVCD? Most of my viewing will be done with a laptop and some with a standalone player.

Is there a prefered way of ripping DVD to make SVCD's (burning with a dvd/cdrom burner) that is easy for a newbie?

If I create a VCD or SVCD with a PAL version will the CD play on a non PAL player?

Thanks in advance
    cwl

Last edited: Jun 20, 2003
  2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

SVCD is MPEG-2, so the quality is much higher and SVCD supports VBR encoding which makes it a lot better than VCD!!

DVD2SVCD with CCE SP is the easiest and probably the besyt way to make svcd from DVD!!

3. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

4. cwl

cwl Member

Thanks for the replies. Is the difference in quality between SVCD and VCD worthe extra time and effort?

I have a mpg of one of my dvd's and ran it in window media player. It runs about 1/3 of the size. Will the size increase once its on disc or will it get distorted once it is on a cd and enlarged?

Thanks

5. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

If you plan to play it on a dvd player hooked to a tv, there's a big difference. If you plan to play it on a pc, the difference is not as bad. Here's how I decide which way to do it: if it is less than 60 minutes then I use svcd (1 disk). IF it is between 60 and 80 minutes I do vcd(1 disk). If it's between 80 and 120 minutes, I go back to svcd because either way (vcd or svcd) it will take 2 disks.
    Also, svcd picture size is bigger than vcd's

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The quality of SVCD is simply superior to VCD and well worth waiting for! No matter what length my movie is i encode SVCD all the time!