1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVHS to VCD or SVCD?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by tslugmo, Feb 25, 2004.

1. tslugmo

tslugmo Member

I've got .avi's that were made from SVHS masters, and was wondering if somebody could elaborate on the difference between VCD and SVCD. I have heard that VCD's are VHS quality and SVCD's are LD quality, and I understand the GIGO theory, and that my SVCD's will never look better than my AVI's, but I was wondering if it makes any sense to make SVCD's out of my AVI's, or if it's just a waste of time.

I guess what I'm saying is, if VCD's look like VHS, does that mean the added quality of SVCD will be wasted on a source that's SVHS, or do both encodings downgrade the quality from the source, and taking the time to do SVCD is worth it?

In the end I'll probably try both, but I thought I'd get a little theory while I'm at it.

Thanks,
    tslug

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Quality of VCD and SVCD is all relative to the Quality of the Source Files..VCD is about VHS Quality if you Created the VCD files out of DVD Quality source Files but if createing the VCD"s From SVHS Tapes you will definately Not get VHS Quality, So if you want to retain the Very best quality I would Make SVCD"s out of the AVI files or even DVD"s if you have a Burner...SVCD will Produce more than twice the Quality of VCD because SVCD"s use over twice the Resolution of VCD and over twice the Bitrate and it is the Resolution and the Bitrate in relation to the Resolution and Quality of the Source AVI files that will determine the final Quality of your VCD or SVCD files so no matter what you will allways get better quality when useing a Higher resolution and Bitrate so SVCD is the Way to go.....
    Another thing to consider is the Resolution of your Source AVI files..If they are Low resolution files and you have to resize them to a higher resolution to create the SVCD Files then you Might be better off useing VCD because Resizeing Interlaced Video to a higher resolution will greatly reduce the Quality so you have to take into consideration the Resolution of your Source AVI files...well Good Luck

3. tslugmo

tslugmo Member

Awesome reply as always, Minion. Thanks for laying it out for me. SVCD it is (unless resizing is needed)!

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, You can Resize Just don"t up Size, Meaning if your AVI is of a Lower Resolution than 480+480/576-Pal which is the SVCD Resolution then use VCD Instead...Cheers

5. tslugmo

tslugmo Member

I just checked and it seems that they are all 480x360. So I should just go for VCD here? In Winamp it says 1065kbps, so that would be the bitrate that these AVI's are encoded at, correct? So is it correct to say that, VCD being 1150kbps, I'd have room to spare on VCD's at CBR? It's not going to get better by encoding to SVCD?

Thanks,
    tslug

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Well actually with those Files it would be Fine to Make SVCD but when you make the SVCD make it so there is a 60 Pixel Boarder at the top and a 60 pixel Boarder at the Bottom this will make it so you keep the same aspect ration and there is No resizeing at all because you are Makeing a SVCD at 480+360 but with Two 60 Pixel Boarders to make it 480+480...If you are Useing Tmpgenc to create your SVCD then to add the Boarder arround the Image what you do is go to "Settings" to "Advanced" and under "Video Arrange Method" set it to "Center(Custom Size)" and then set the Custom Size to 480+360 ,This will make it so there is No resizeing and just a Boarder added arround the Image...And the Bitrate that was used to encode the AVI has nothing to do with the Bitrate that you use to encode the File to Mpeg2/SVCD as Mpeg2 Bitrates and AVI Bitrates have to corelation to each other...So if you encode your SVCD This way it should turn out Good...If you need anything else let me Know ....Cheers

7. tslugmo

tslugmo Member

Well, I searched around looking for an answer before I bothered you again, but I guess I'll have to ask since I couldn't seem to find it. Using DVD2SVCD lately, plus I just started using D2SRoBa with CCE. Wondering how to do the borders you recommend considering I'm using that configuration. Do I need to create a CCE template, or do I edit the avisynth script?

I learn more here in a day than I learn in a week in "real life."

-tslug

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you can edit the AVISYnth Script then that is the way to do it....Here I will write Down a Script that will work for adding the Boarders but you will have to change the File Names and Directories....

LoadPlugin("C:\Plugins\undot.dll")
    avisource("C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Desktop\AVI Movies\FreedyvsJason.avi")
    BicubicResize(480,360)
    Undot()
    AddBorders(0,60,0,60)

Something Like this will make it so there is no resizeing of the Image Just borders added to it and the "Undot" filter helps clean up static Like Noise that you get from VHS Captures, if you don"t have or can"t find the Filter then you can just erase that line in the Script and use this Line instead :
    mergechroma(blur(1.3))
    This will also help clean up Noise but doesn"t need an extra Filter....If you need any More help Let me know...Cheers