1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap a new 250GB Elite HDD into an Xbox 360S 4GB HDD slot?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by BLKBRDTA, Feb 27, 2011.

1. BLKBRDTA

BLKBRDTA Member

I was thinking of doing the 250GB laptop HDD mod, but am hesitant about it with all of the XBL bans going around for DVD drive and hard disk mods. So then I thought, why don't I just buy a new 360 Elite 250GB removable hard drive for $55. Then just buy a 360 Slim internal HDD case and slide the 250GB Elite HDD into the 4GB Slim. Bingo, a legit hard drive with a one-of-a-kind serial number that wont get you banned and for the same price as doing the mod anyways. I mean since the Elite and the Slim HDD's are both 1.5/GBps @ 5400RPM, why would it matter if you were using the older version hard drive?

Or should I just risk the ban and put a 250GB WD Black Scorpio running 3.0/GBps @ 7200RPM??

Eventually, Microsoft will catch on to all of the people with the same flash serial, right?

Or is there someone out there on their fourth year of a successful HDD mod??

2. b1gh3ad

b1gh3ad Regular member

can you even put a HDD into the 4GB Xbox 360S?

3. BLKBRDTA

BLKBRDTA Member

Yes, you can put most 9mm tall hard drives into the 360S.. Technically you can go up to around 750GB inside of a 360 but with limited Microsoft HDD firmware of only 20GB, 60GB, 120GB and 250GB, the system will only recognize up to 250GB out of the 750GB. I do know for a fact that if you dare to edit the firmware and change the values from 250GB to 750GB, you will be blacklisted on XBL and Microsoft will ban your 360's console IP for life. Case in point, do not edit the firmware before installing a HDD larger than 250GB. The 360S hard drive sleeve can be ordered online and shipped anywhere in the world. On a side note, I plan on using a 250GB 7,200RPM HDD inside my 360S and a 750GB 7,200RPM HDD inside of my PS3S - both stable Western Digital Scorpio Black's..

-The PS3 doesn't complain at all about munching on 500GB over what the 360 has??-
    Cool with me though, Sony even tells you how to swap out to a larger HDD in the manual!

{..This mod can be done on any Xbox 360, not just the new Slim models..}
    {The only thing that changes is the position where the HDD is located at..}

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011