1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Discs and ps2 question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by toygt4, Jun 24, 2003.

1. toygt4

toygt4 Member

Alright I've been reading up on the swap discs. I had a ps2 with neo 2.2 but I gave it to my friend, now I'm goign to buy another ps2 and don't really know what to go with.

The swap magic discs 2.0 seem alot better then gameshark (ease of booting dvd-r). I plan on making my own slide card and using that. People have told me that the card will damage the gears of the cd tray, I don't see how this is possible because you aren't moving the gears when the ps2 is trying to, you're just doing it manually.

The other choice I have is to buy a noswap chip and send my ps2 out to have someone else put it for a total of about $70 shipped. The modchip will have all games work but its a hassle to risk the ps2 in shipping and everything else. The swap discs/slide card or flip top sounds like it works really well unless you're a dumbass and don't follow directions. I know 80min dvd rips won't work but are there a few games that don't work? I think I'll mainly be using dvd-r's anyways since its alot easier on the laser.

Thanks

2. kr1m1n4l

kr1m1n4l Regular member

In my opinion, if you don't know how to solder, or u don't know anyone that you can trust to solder a modchip in your ps2 get a flip-top. There sooooo easy to install. You'd have to be a dumbass to not know how to remove your original ps2 cover and replace it with the flip top, also replacin mem ports and reset/eject buttons. I heard the only hard part, if any, was sliding the flip top on without pinching the reset/eject ribbon cables... but in my opinion, if u tape the cables down a little bit, you'll have no problems. Getting the memory card ports into the flip top can be a little bit frustrating as well, and i heard that a lot of people had trouble with replacing the white disk.

Flip tops, no doubt, are the best no-solder option. Those crappy no-solder chips and the external neo are junk.

The down side of flip-tops is that you have to buy swap cds and do the swap method each time u boot a backup.

Instead of doing those cheesy knife or cogswap (whatever u call them) tricks and risk damaging ur console, spend a little bit of money and buy a flip top.

I got mine pretty cheap i guess at modchipkits.com (but it was shipped to me pretty late) ive heard good things about chipzone.com too.

3. kr1m1n4l

kr1m1n4l Regular member

i think 80 min dvd backups will work with the flip top and the swap magic dvd

im not sure though

4. ill6q

ill6q Member

youd be more of a dumbass paying 20 bucks for fliptop when you can make a slider

5. kr1m1n4l

kr1m1n4l Regular member

alrite i admit.... if u know how to make a slider and u know what ur doing... and it wont damage ur ps2, its obviously logical to make a slider and not buy a flip-top.

I was just stating my opinion, cuz thats what he wanted rite?

6. billz

billz Active member

kr1m1n4l read the RULES!!!! no putting down other mods. no solder is great

7. toygt4

toygt4 Member

I bought the swap discs. Its pointless to me to pay $30 bucks for a flip top when I can make a slide card for free and it is not really going to damage the ps2 since nothign is spinning the laser isnt even reading.

I don't have a problem with swapping discs, its just the dreamcast before no swap games. I think its pretty pathetic that some people are so lazy that they think swapping is such a huge negative.

8. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Okay, lets calm things down a bit before things get out of hand.

kr1m1n4l

Please read this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/30646 it shows how little comments can offend/cause problems when they are not substantiated. If you have an opinion about a mod please explain your experience NOT what you might have heard etc.

ill6q

Your comment looked to not be directly at anyone but please try to re-word your intent to avoid problems.

Thank You for cooperating.

9. toygt4

toygt4 Member

So are you Swap Magic guys happy with the discs? If not, I'm going to get pre modded magic 3.1 for $255.

Thanks for the input

Also if any of you with the swap magic discs can shoot me a IM via AIM, that would be great. Aim sn = j0em5

10. jumbo11

jumbo11 Regular member

ye, i'm happy with them Magic Swap disc... they work great and even let you play original imports which is a huge plus :)

home-made slide tools rule :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2003
  11. cmp333

cmp333 Member

Ok... here is my humble opinion on Swap Magic Discs, Flip-Top Lids, and Slide-Cards...

First of all, in my opinion if you are going to put a flip-top case on your PS2 you might as well get a modchip. Because regardless of how easy it is to put on a Flip-Top case you are still voiding your warranty. Don't get me wrong, when I first saw the Flip-Top case I thought about getting one. But if you're going to go through the trouble of opening the box, you might as well go all the way or get someone who knows what they're doing to put a no solder or no-swap chip in for you!

Now the Slide-Card. This thing is great, once I recieved it in the mail I relized how simple it would be to make one, but regardless, it still works great. All you have to do is remove the disc drive faceplate (with the ps2 logo on it) That's it... you don't even have to break that damn warranty seal!!!

I have never heard of anyones PS2 drive gears being damaged because of a slide-card, it's a piece of plastic and simply moves the drive lock to the left and back to the right. There is nothing that the slide-card does that the PS2 doesn't do already (physically). Besides if it was somehow damaged by a stoner or something you could just send the thing out to Sony and they'll fix it... YOU STILL HAVE THE WARRANTY! Try sending a PS2 with a modchip or flip-top case back to Sony... I dare you!

Now Swap Magic... this is such an inventive idea that Region X started but never came close to. v2.0 only works for PS2 backups and imports... that's all it does. It doesn't load PSX backups or imports. From what I have read v3.0 of Swap Magic is supposed to be able to play psx backups and imports. Some rips don't work on 80min CD-R... big deal, these weren't supposed to run on a PS2 anyway, burn an original CD or DVD and it works fine. Some DVD9 games that check for modchips and such multiple times don't work AS OF NOW... just wait for the next Swap Magic v3.0 release. I'm sure you can play anything! The only think I don't like about Swap Magic that it should support is the option of adding GameShark or AR codes to the copied game before it boots. Simple idea... but it hasn't been done yet.

Lengthy yes... but I hope I have covered all questions you have about modchip alternatives!

12. jumbo11

jumbo11 Regular member

cmp333 is talkin good shlt.

toygt4 - i myself use them magic swaps with the knife trick/cog method and everything works great. I might buy this FlipTop thing but i don't know. It's basically the same stuff as Knife Trick...

13. toygt4

toygt4 Member

Excellent post cmp...thats what I was looking for. I'd like to find someone with a no swap mod though and see how they like it.

14. jumbo11

jumbo11 Regular member

Just quoting...

"No-Solder mods cause shortages, laser problems, tray problems, and full system problems(blown fuses)"

15. toygt4

toygt4 Member

Jumbo, I don't know if you were directing that at me about my no swap mod query but...

I realize that no solder mods aren't great, I wouldn't even consider getting one. I'm wondering about magic 3.1, and messiah 2 (no SWAP) chips and getting comments from people who have them.

16. jumbo11

jumbo11 Regular member

ye sorry, my mistake. you wrote "no swap mod" and i read it as "no solder mod"

sorry :p

17. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I don't think it matters if you get a slide card or a fliptop cover but I don't think that if you are going to void your warranty and install a fliptop that you should so far to put in a no swap modchip. I know nine year olds that can install fliptop cover whereas I have heard tons of stories of how people have completely fried their ps2 intstalling a no swap modchip. Also, I sure wouldn't pay $200 to have no swap modchip installed when you could get a fliptop cover for $30 (or make your own fliptop cover which is what I did). I have never heard of anybody messing up their ps2 installing a fliptop cover so therefore I think the thing about the warranty being voided means nothing. As for the slide card method it maybe easier to just take the cover of the cd/dvd drive off than it is to replace the entire ps2 cover (which is what you do with the fliptop) but once you have the fliptop installed (which is super easy to do) swaping is definately easier.

18. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

You guys keep saying if you are going to void your warranty for a flip top, might as well put in a no swap modchip. Unless you are buying a separate warranty, the Sony warranty on my PS2 was only 3 months. Maybe the new ones have a longer one, but its maybe 6 months. So most people don't have a warranty left and cant solder and the fliptop is the best choice.

19. PHNX2088

PHNX2088 Member

if you have a legit problem your warrenty can be gone even after 3 months and they will fix it if you have the void sticker intact