1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 2 vs swap magic 3

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ZippoGuy, Mar 21, 2005.

1. ZippoGuy

ZippoGuy Member

i just bought a PS2 with a flip top and Swap magic 2. what's the diff between SM 2 and 3? should i buy the newer discs or will 2 work ok?

2. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

Always go for the most updated software. SwapMagic v3.3 is way better than the old ones. With v3.0 you occasionally have to use cd/dvdloader to get your backups to boot. Now, with v3.3 it basically has it built in for you so you don't have to worry about it. Also, it is capable of running PAL games on NTSC systems and visa versa.

3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I gave up on upgrading on Swap magic,reason why is that they never upgrade the TOC on the Dvd version of it making it where it can boot Dvd9 games.You will keep getting the same product with one feature added to it everytime.It is kinda pointless to be honest to upgrade on swap magic.Maybe if they do something amazing I will upgrade,but nah it has been the same for quite some time now.

4. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

He's not asking about upgrading, he's asking about which one he should get right now. He should definitely buy v3.3 as opposed to v3.0

5. steimy

steimy Active member

I say get the 3.3 for sure, the extra options for the PAL or NTSC, and not having to use DVD Loader anymore make it worth it.

6. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I am saying they all work the same though,so it really doesn't matter which one he gets to be honest.It wouldn't hurt to get the newest Swap Magic set if you don't have it,but nothing really has changed is what I am saying.

7. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

Yah, that's true, but the main difference is you eliminate the need for using cd/dvdloader for a rather large amount of games. Which is definitely a plus.

8. ZippoGuy

ZippoGuy Member

i already have swap magic 2. just wanted to know how big a difference there is between 2 and the newer 3.3 What is cd/dvdloader? thought that's what swapmagic was for.

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey dragulaAC does it have cdloaderV7_beta5.2 built into it,the IOP refresh always option.I know off the dvdloader_all version it doesn't have this option,was just wondering though.I only seen this option for cdloaderV7_beta5.2.Hey ZippoGuy the cdloader/dvdloader is a tool that elimates dvd checks for some games.I am sure you will run into a game sooner or later that will need cdloader/dvdloader, infact I'm pretty positive about it.You can check out http://www.swapmagicfix.com to see what problemic games need the cdloader/dvdloader.I heard someone mention another Swap Magic version might be available,if this is true I hope it supports Dvd9 games.If not I might have to resort to a modchip,because I really don't want to keep ripping stuff out of my games to get them to play.

10. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

It doesn't really apply to the games that have a TOC size of 4.35Gig(Swap Magic TOC),but every once in awhile they come out with a 9Gig game.When they come out with Dvd9 games,they have to be ripped down in size so the Swap Magic can read them.It has to be the TOC size of Swap Magic or it won't work or a TOC refresh,but most of the time this doesn't work on Dvd9 games.The reason why the TOC refresh only reads the first layer of the disc,and fails to add the TOC from the second layer of a game.Trust me this is going to be an issue real soon I think.

11. ZippoGuy

ZippoGuy Member

Cool. Thanx for all the help. I'm new to this PS2 backup stuff. PCs are more my gig.

12. ZippoGuy

ZippoGuy Member

ok one more question. I went to that site to check out the cdloader. now, do i need to down and burn a different cdloader for each different game or just once for all. they have a hundred links for cdloader and they all look like the same file. Thanx again for all your help.

13. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You can get the cdloaderV7_beta5.2,and if you want you can get dvdloaderV7_all.This is the best solution I have used so far.The dvdloaderV7_all is missing an option,but still it has everything else on it.The cdloaderV7_beta5.2 has an option called IOP refresh always,which works like a charm.See if you can get these two alright.

14. ZippoGuy

ZippoGuy Member

Groovy. I think i'm finally all set. Thanx a bunch for all your help.