1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 3,0 Problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by RuneGrey, Jun 14, 2007.

1. RuneGrey

RuneGrey Member

Greetings everyone.

Despite having lurked here for a while, I have not seen a reference made to the problem that I have been having, so I figured I should post and see what I can find out.

I am using one of the old, non-slimline PS2s with a slide card and Swap Magic 3 disks. For a long time I had been able to load import games just fine, but lately what has been occurring is the DVD Driver Swap Magic disk will load to the Playstation logo, go to a dark screen, and then load back to the PS2 disk / memory card / HDD browser window. The CD driver is not detected as a valid disk anymore.

What I am wondering is, since I have slightly older Swap Magic disks, is it possible that a game I have played recently has updated my PS2's bios or some other program that is now preventing my Swap Magic disks from loading? My PS2 will play US games just fine right now.

If my system was updated, will buying the new Swap Magic 3.6 disks remedy the problem, or will I have to take more drastic steps?

2. ps2wizz

ps2wizz Regular member

no your sistem has not been updated. It is most lickly your laser is weekending or your disks are scratched.

3. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

It really sounds like your laser is kicking the bucket soon instead of anything suspicious being done by the malicious games you think might installed something bad into your PS2. Seriously, no on anything secretly installed. Have you tried upping the diodes of your laser? (look up on adjusting diodes and re-aligning the laser's height here for a more better explanation) It could be your PS2 isn't strong enough to read the Swap Magic disc at it's current power level, which you would then need to increase its power in getting your PS2 to read the Swap Magic disc.

The problem you're having sounds similar to those who can't play PSX games anymore on their PS2s but can play PS2 games fine and vice versa.

4. RuneGrey

RuneGrey Member

Well, I could hope that it was something suspicious - having my laser die on me is probably going to be a bit more expensive than anything else that is going on.

Thanks for the info at least - I'll have to poke around a bit more and see if I can decide what I'm going to do next. Is there anyone I can take my PS2 to in order to have (reasonably priced) repair done on the laser?