1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 3.0 Question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ryguynpr, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ryguynpr

ryguynpr Member

Ive seen on the different sites that sell swap magic that it's compatible with "ALL PS2 MODELS" and then below under description it will say versions 1-8. If I have a v9 50001 is it compatible, has anyone tried or have experience? The "ALL PS2 MODELS" is kinda misleading.
    Thanks

2. ryguynpr

ryguynpr Member

Also, if it does work does it work pretty well, I dont want to spend alot of time backing up games that arent going to work. As well as what is the big advantage to getting a modchip if you can use swap magic and avoid voiding the warranty and have it outperform some of the cheaper modchips?

3. viper8437

viper8437 Regular member

ok....i just went through this about a week ago so i can help you

for using the swap disc you also need a fliptop or a slide card

for the slide card you have to open the front of the cd tray and manually pull out the cd drive in order to swap discs....i do not know first hand, but i have heard that if you are careful everything is ok, but using the slide card is known to damage the ps2 motor

the other way to use swap disc is by gettin the fliptop which is basicalLY a top that goes on ur ps2 that also you to use a lid to swap discs instead of pulling out the cd drive...this option is much easier but THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY...but its only for 90days so who cares and odds are damage wont occur to ur ps2 while installing the fliptop and its even easier to install a fliptop on a v9 since you donthave to worry about the reset/eject cable.

i just bought a fliptop and SMD3 discs for a v9 and got it last week and it works pefectly and the games that i have tried. the advantage of swap discs over a mod chip is that if u new games come out wih better protection, if u have a mod chip u have 2 change the modchip but if u have a fliptop or slide card u only have 2 change the swap discs

the advamtage of a modchip over swap discs is that modchips have more feautre and is less of a hassle since u dont have 2 swap discs.

if price is a problem go with the fliptop because its only $35 if not go wit hthe modchip...just know the chip can cost around $40 plus installtion if u cant soder can go from 50-150 dollars fliptops take about 5mins 2 install on a ps2

if u go for the flitop....buy it from http://www.ps2fliptop.com i bought from them great service and they have the updated SMD3 in which both of the discs work with a v9---just make sure u either e-mail them for it and include it in the notes....when i ordered it then didnt send me the updated version but i sent them en e-mail and they shipped out that day and sent me the updated discs...they are a great buisnees and very reliable

i hope this helps....i remeber when i was deciding what 2 buy....such a pain...pm me if u have any otehr ques
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]-Viper[/small]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004