1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 3.3 summary

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Geno64, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Hello. My first post here. After reading back and forth on these forums for months, I finally joined up.
    Anyway, I received the new Swap 3.3 set (I've had the older one for some time now). For those sitting on the border with the old version, this is for you.
    After much testing, I came to these conclusion. (BTW, I am speaking for v7 and v9 PS2s)

Swap DVD 3.3
    1. elminates the need for any kind of "extra" boot discs (DVD loader, 5.2 beta). I still have not tested out the CogSwap Loader (I don't have problems with FFX movies, Star Wars: Battlefront - I cropped that and Starsky & Hutch, I don't have) so I can not say anything right now. As for super problems games like Dukes of Hazzard (try it without DVDloader and you know what I mean), it loads quickly and perfectly with DVD 3.3. No more Swap DVD then loader then selecting boot option then back to Swap DVD then the game - just DVD 3.3 and game. Same thing with Beta 5.2 disc, (most noticable problem game is SF Anniversary Coll and it works flawlessly with DVD 3.3 without doing the switching and swapping hassle.)

2. No more blue/green border waiting, it just boots and goes to game - split second or two quicker than 2.0

3. Games prevously unplayable. . . are now playable. Onimusha: Blade Warriors was not at all possible on v7+ machines in the past with it's famous triple check. Now it works with DVD 3.3! Perhaps those empty spaces on swapmagicfix under the v7+ column will now work with 3.3. Perhaps yall can help me on that. For those that were really wanting to play Britney's Dance Beat, well it just might happen.

Swap CD 3.3

1. eliminates need of extra boot discs (cdloader, 5.2 beta cd). Games like Monopoly Party (game locks up when loading the Classic themed monopoly board without use of cdloader) works flawlessly now.

2. fixes major loading problem that old version does not recognize game. Quite a few PS2 CD games would just spin very fast upon loading and it never loads. Repeated attempts may net you a sucessful load. My sure fire way in the past was just to eject the Swap CD after it loaded, put in the Breaker Pro CD (refreshing the TOC) and then inserting the backup game via fliptop - it works everytime. The new CD 3.3 eliminates the need of refreshing the TOC to make the game readable, and it loads all the PS2 CD games the first time. Saves time, damage to your PS2 spinning like 50 mph and the need of buying a Breaker Pro CD. However, very large games still require the Breaker Pro CD. CD 3.3 just fixes the "won't read game the first time" problem.

3. Games previously unplayable are playable. Games like Looney Tunes: Space Race and Hot Wheels: World Race (both lock up when loading any track to race on).
    Expands compatability that much more.

So in summary, this new 3.3 set virtually eliminates all the extra boot discs (DVD/CD loader, 5.2, etc), saving all the hassle of finding and swapping them (or remembering which order of disks to reach the end). It expands compatability to those games that were unplayable before, and therefore, making this set virtually 100% compatable with all PS2 games. It does not play PS1 games - you need the Breaker Pro CD for that, bottom line.

I like the new set. . . however the decision is yours. Thanks.

2. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Well, there is now 1 game that doesn't work with Swap DVD 3.3 - and that is Ghost Recon 2. (GR2 works perfectly with Swap DVD 2.0)

3. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Add 2 more to the no play list for SM 3.3 - Terminator 3: Redemption and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

4. fdiaz

fdiaz Member

whats the deal with the swap magic it works pretty good for me also is there anything wrong with no solder chip does it mess up youre system because i just installed it and im happy with it.

5. HellGates

HellGates Member

How about instead of speaking on nonsense BS, just list the games that we all think need to be fixed. Basiclly, we should just post in here about games that do not load with SM 3.3 & the ways to fix them. If not, then this topic is gonna get sidetracked. So, so far we have 3 games(Ghost Recon 2 is a definite) that don't work w/ the v3.3 loader:

1. Ghost Recon 2
    2. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
    3. Terminator 3: Redemption

6. kroqjroq

kroqjroq Member

wow, this is great news since i just bought SM 3.3 and I was worried if i was wasting my money. But I guess not since I now know it will boot up Splinter Cell and True Crime flawlessly!! :)

7. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Umm kroqjroq, there saying splinter cell does NOT work with SM3.3.
    read HellGates post :)

8. Geno64

Geno64 Member

To clarify, the original Splinter Cell works fine with SM DVD 3.3.

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow does not work with SM 3.3.

9. HellGates

HellGates Member

[bold]Swap Magic v3.3[/bold]

Verified Working:
    1. Splinter Cell(original)

Not Working:
    1. Ghost Recon 2
    2. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
    3. Terminator 3: Redemption

10. Geno64

Geno64 Member

HellGates, add these to the list

[bold]Working exclusively on SM 3.3[/bold]
    Onimusha Blade Warriors
    Britney's Dance Beat
    SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
    Splashdown
    Rune Viking Warlord
    World Championship Poker

These games are listed on swapmagicfix as having no fix under v7+ machines under the old Swap Magic.

11. HellGates

HellGates Member

[bold]Swap Magic v3.3[/bold}

[bold]Verified Working:[/bold]
    1. Splinter Cell(original)
    2. Onimusha Blade Warriors
    3. Britney's Dance Beat
    4. SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
    5. Splashdown
    6. Rune Viking Warlord
    7. World Championship Poker

[bold]Not Working(Verified = ~):[/bold]
    ~1. Ghost Recon 2
    ~2. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

[bold]I would just like to say, please try not to post duplicates or non-verified games(check them out before posting; if u don't have SM 3.3, then don't post since u have no real way of testing.) Please check the liost before posting so this does not happen.[/bold]

Geno64 said:
    So ur saying they work on the olod SM DVD 2.0/CD 3.0? Or are u assuming that these work? Like I said, if u can't test them then u shouldn't post. PLEASE!!!!

12. Geno64

Geno64 Member

I have had the old Swap Magic set, the new Swap 3.3 magic set, Breaker Pro CD, as well as all the loaders for both cd and dvd formats for quite a long time so I am pretty qualified for testing.

I know which ones did not work before because I've tried and had them for awhile with the old SM set. Once the new SM 3.3 set arrived in my hands, I dug up these games and behold most of them work now. Of course, the big surprise was Ghost Recon 2, which works fine with the old set but doesn't work at all with the new set - the only game so far to fit this category.

13. HellGates

HellGates Member

Thats what I was trying to clear up is that just because it worked for the old ones doesn't mean it works for the new ones so thas why I said don't post if you don't have v3.3. I wasn't trying to be a dick or nothin'. Sorry if I came off like that.

14. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Thanks for updating the list HellGates. Don't fret, there no beef here. I know that people just want the info to be as correct as possible and I believe that too.

15. illthreat

illthreat Member

GT4 also doesn't work with 3.3 b/c of dvd9 I presume.

:(

16. HellGates

HellGates Member

Have your tried it out yet? If not, then please do not post. There have been problems like this in the past & i'm pretty sure by the time GT4 comes out here, we will have fixed that problem(DVD5 & DVD9 compatabilities.) Or at least, in the process of being worked on. Although, GT4 is pissing me off peroid. Pushed it back again. What BS. Anyways, please, just VERIFIED working or not working(which means YOU, yourself have tested the game.)

17. illthreat

illthreat Member

Um.. Yeah. I wouldn't post, if I didn't try it dude.

How do you think I found this forum? :) Because it doesn't WORK and I'm trying to figure out how to play it.

With all due respect, you don't know me. And I don't know you. You'll just have to take my word for it. I didn't waste over $100USD to not play this game. And I can tell you that it doesn't work with SM3.3 . Try if you must. I've got a legitimate chinese original. No workie. :(

18. illthreat

illthreat Member

To recap... I've got a LEGITIMATE copy of GT4.
    I also bought SM 3.3 and Flip Top. This will not play GT4.

I tried Action Replay MAX as I was told that it can boot import games. It also doesn't work for me. :(

So, I'm now wondering if my PS2 can even read a d9?

It's model#: SCPH-30001 I'm not sure of the mb version.

Is it possible that:

GT4 just doesn't work with SM or AR.
    My PS2 won't read a dvd9.

?

Any Help appreciated.. I haven't tried making a backup of the orig. game as I didn't know how that would be any better.

Thanks!

19. jim2011

jim2011 Member

Im wondering if games like the Ratchet and Clank series as well as Kingdom Hearts now work just with the SM 3.3 discs as it seems like that may be the case since you say it doesnt need cdloader

20. Geno64

Geno64 Member

Yes, they will work. . . it's in the summary.

Swap DVD 3.3
    1. elminates the need for any kind of "extra" boot discs (DVD loader, 5.2 beta).