1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 3 3 with New Ps2 slim?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Pazzi1, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Pazzi1

Pazzi1 Guest

I noticed that now we have this new version but I am not sure if I still need to open my new slim ps2 in order to make the SM 3.3 work. Do I have to do the tape procedure and open voiding my ps2 slim warrantee with this SM 3.3?

Thanks for the help.

2. A.Beast

A.Beast Guest

You'll need to do some type of mod (tape, straws & tissue or buy a fliptop or ghostswitch or slim-tool) in order for the SM3.3 discs to be ofany use to you and your Ps2 slim, cause you'll need to switch out the SM discs and put in your backups or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2004
  3. Pazzi1

Pazzi1 Guest

sorry. not a very helpful comment I end up the same. Thanks anyway

4. A.Beast

A.Beast Guest

Swap Magic is completely useless until you can change the swap magic disc with the backup or import that you want to play without the PS2 knowing.

Therefore, in order to do this swap you need to have done some type of mod like taping down the switches, or doing the trick with a straw and tissue, or buying either the ghost switch or slim tool.

All but the straw and tissue method require you to either open up your ps2, or clip off pieces of your ps2. So it is highly likely that you will be voiding your warranty.

Not sure what else you want/need. Hope it helps.

There is also this big forum on this exact topic you should probably look at it:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/117041

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2004
  5. jspencer

jspencer Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  6. vrg

vrg Guest

Hi
    You can do this with straw and tissue without voiding the warranty as long as you can leave lid open, this works fine. I think it should be okay until a solid resolution comes for laser problem of v12. Only thing I want to know, can we do the same trick with Action Replay max Evo instead of swap magic?

7. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

I recommend the tape mod, you can do it without voiding the warranty. Open your pstwo, using the warranty sticker as a hinge.

8. HUYI

HUYI Member

you need to realise that people do not want to destroy thier pstwo by putting "straws" and "tape" into thier machines and having to buy new ones after thier laser has burned out by doing this, some people can't afford to keep buying replacment pstwos all the time. so i don't think it's a good idea to recomend people to do this to their pstwos. and i know i will not follow.

can't you recomend a safer way for people to mod thier pstwo without sticking tape into the machine?

i've read these forums for a while becasue everone is asking the same question 'can i use a safer way to mod the new pstwo' and all people give is useless answers, answers that will not help the poster in any way except from destrowing his own pstwo.

so i think it's best for you people to keep your destructive methods to your self and only answer to people if you only have usefull information, unlike you i prize my pstwo.

9. vrg

vrg Guest

Hi HUYI
    There is no 100% safer way to mod your PSTwo. It is not for V12, for all versions. If you want to mod your PSTwo using any methods, u will voiding your warranty. No installer gives you the 1 year warranty for modding the psTwo. For any type modding there will be a slight chanes of problems. You can find that by searching ps2 forums. If you want to be 100%safe then don't mod your psTwo. No one can tell you the safer way of modding a ps2.

10. HUYI

HUYI Member

and that leads to another question, how can you tell if you pstwo is a V12 or not? is this model more likely to die than any other model of pstwo?

and what i mean about the modding, which would you recomend would be the safest way out of all modding better? i know all of them are not 100% safe but which one would be better? if you really want to mod. if i am going to modd my pstwo i at least want it to last the longest.

i am getting the slim tool with the two swap magic 3.3 discs is this the best way out of all of them to modd it?

11. A.Beast

A.Beast Guest

FYI HUYI, straws and tape don't make a laser burn out, you don't touch the laser at all, you are only dealing with the lid sensors that tell the PS2 whether the lid is open.

The reason I suggest the straw method is because you 1) Do not have to open the case whatsoever 2) Do not void your warranty and 3) Still allow yourself to play backups until more tried and tested and reviewed products are available. Sounds pretty safe to me.

I really love it when people ask a question get an answer/opinion and then someone else gets all whiny and bitchy. If everyone went by HUYI's method and kept to him or herself, nothing would ever be answered. Most people will have different methods/answers and opinions. What I said was useful because it works for me and has worked for several others on this board and other boards aswell. This mod has been posted on many credible mod sites. Also I don't know what makes you think that I buy psTwos weekly or something, in fact this is my first system since SNES, but as vrg stated you can never be 100% safe while modding in any fashion. Finally, if you do a quick search on the board you can find info on how to do basically every single modification available to every version group of PS2 and no matter what anyone tells you, you obviously have your own opinion, so whatever, do what you want, just don't waste time asking questions if you don't want independent answers.

That was my rant, and that is all.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2004
  12. HUYI

HUYI Member

the reason for me to say these things is becasue i have read posts on this forum that said they used the tape/straw method and their laser died because they covered the sensors on the slimline ps2, within a few hours, the console just packed in so thats why i don't think people should mention about the tape method or any other way that will kill the laser. i myself will buy the slim tool with the swap magic 3.3 and hopefully nothing will happen. (fingers crossed) i'm still baffled on how on earth you are supposed to fit the slim tool in the pstwo? i read the guide on the shop website but was still confused. so i myself am very cautious on touching the pstwo.

and i didn't say anything about you buying many pstwos i meant people in general having to buy replacments becasue of the lasers burning out. becasue i myself cannot get a replacment pstwo straight away if my laser dies on me, so thats why it's touch and go when doing this modding.

all i can say now is if someone recomends a way to modd they should test it and find out from other people if the method works without breaking the console.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  13. Davv111

Davv111 Regular member

Why don't you just get the new flip lid? Yes you do have to open your pstwo but at leaet no straws or tape. The lid looks great. I got one two weeks ago. I still did not installed yet cause all my stores around are sold out can you believe that crap? Check this link and tell me this will be the best and easy way?http://linker4u.com/pp/linker4u.asp

14. HUYI

HUYI Member

The new slimline ps2's already has a fliptop lid i don't have a old ps2 i have the new slimline.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  15. Pazzi1

Pazzi1 Guest

I guess you are not reading Davv11.. we are talking about the new ps2 slim.

16. A.Beast

A.Beast Guest

Davv111 is right, although the slim PStwo already has a flip top design, when you open the lid, the pstwo is aware of it. With the fliptop that Davv111 is talking about, there is a circular section that lifts up separately from the entire top hatch making it so the pstwo thinks the top is still closed, and allowing you to swap discs.

Sorry if I'm being a jerk HUYI, but there is no way that the straw method that I use where you simply block the sensors can make the laser burn out.

If you think about it logically, all you are doing is making the ps2 think that the top is closed. If making the ps2 think the top is closed makes the laser burn out, then by that rationale simply operating the ps2 with no mods and the hatch closed which it must be with no mods to do anything would make the laser burn out. That makes no sense.

In regards to opening up your Ps2 and taping down the sensors, I have not done it myself, and it’s possible that people are screwing up their motherboards. I was just giving other possibilities that are discussed in great depth on the board. Hope this clarifies my position, I'm just tryin' to help people out with what has worked for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2004
  17. HUYI

HUYI Member

fair enough, this is true becasue you are covering the sensors everytime you close the pstwo anyway, but it still confuses me on how people's lasers burn out, do you think it's becasue they are using mod chips or the tape method?

18. ag22

ag22 Regular member

All PSTwos manufactured b4 September have bad lasers. does this mean the laser will burn out? No. But it does mean it will have a better chance. As for the tape straw method, it is quite simply the best method since it doesnt break the 90 day warranty. The only thing I could think of for the laser issue is if outside light is some how making the laser inaffective. But if this were the case all clear cases would have ineffective lasers.

Solution- Although there is no 'safe' way to mod the PSTwo, I think the Magic switch method, or the straw method is the safest. Until more research is done mod chips are not the way to go in this matter, and neither is opening your console.

Tip- Instead of using tissue in the straw method, use a small piece of pencil eracer.

19. HUYI

HUYI Member

thanks, but how can you tell if your ps2 was the model made around september? i brought mine around november october time. i think i wil try the straw method, i can't wait to modd my pstwo, i am going to get so many imported games, no more waiting for games to come out in the UK anymore!

20. BOUT2BUS

BOUT2BUS Guest

[bold]I hope this image guide will help you, and anyone else with the same problem.[/bold]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]