1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 3.6 dvd won't work but the cd does

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dsjlghdh, Jun 21, 2007.

1. dsjlghdh

dsjlghdh Member

okay so i got the swap magic discs and everything was working for a day or two but the games took forever to load. now the swapmagic dvd won't even load but the cd still works fine. sometimes when trying to load the dvd the screen will just stay black, while other times it would go back to the screen that asks me to choose between my memory card or the disk. thanks for any help

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

What DVD media brand are you using? What version is your PS2? Check here. Are you using a fat or slim PS2? If you are indeed using a fat PS2, do you have a custom flip-top? How long do you think you've had your PS2?

There is a possibility you could have used utterly expletive bad quality media and have butchered what remains of your PS2 laser's life span. The long loading times, the endless black abyss and so forth sounds like you've had a bad burn and your PS2's laser is dying/wearing out.

4. dsjlghdh

dsjlghdh Member

my ps2 is a version 12 and i installed magic keys. when it was working i was using a cheap dvd-r that could ruin the laser on the ps2? that's probably what happened because it won't play original dvd's anymore. it does play cd format fine. what is the next step to fix it and how much does it cost.

thanks

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Have you tried playing more than one of your original games on your v12 PS2? And what media brand were you using? Memorex, TDK, Sony or what? It doesn't really help me and you to simply admit it without a clear answer since it could be a different problem depending on your answer. The only thing I can think of that's wrong with your v12 PS2 at the moment is that you've been using Swap Magic and playing backed-up games recently with some very slight but very noticeable (glaring) problems like longer than usual loading times, a little stutter and so forth when playing your backups, and you already were experiencing some slight problems playing your originals before you gotten the Swap Magic disc set.

If you only got the Swap Magic disc set a mere days ago, have only had troubles booting your backups, but you've managed to get practically all your originals working fine on your PS2, then it could be you need to do a simple media brand swap or try using another burning method than what you were previously using. Since you've said you had trouble playing originals too, and practically all DVDs you've tried to play only boot with a mere 5~15% probability, then your PS2 could finally be at its end, and you might want to consider getting a laser replacement.

Edit: If you live around the U.S., you could try teammodder as it's a very reliable and reputable place that's been around for quite some time with quite a reputation.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  6. dsjlghdh

dsjlghdh Member

ok the brand i was using is called GQ. stands for great quality. the ps2 was working fine with all games before i got swap magic and now IT WON'T BOOT THE SWAP MAGIC DVD OR ANY DVD ANYMORE so i don't even have a chance to switch the media brand because swap magic won't load. the only thing that seems to work on the ps2 is cd format discs only.

7. smokyrain

smokyrain Active member

First, doesnt hurt to check, I would just check your magic key tools and make sure they are in their proper place, specifically the brake tool B. I was having similar issues after installing them, I double checked that part and made sure it was in place. I also rechecked on tool A also to make sure it was taped down properly, but Tool B for sure.

8. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

smokyrain makes a good point that I forgot to mention. Also, by any chance, when you are playing any DVD, whether it's a movie or PS2 game, do you hear a somewhat loud clicking sound when your PS2 is trying to read your backup game?

9. dsjlghdh

dsjlghdh Member

i doesn't make a clicking noise when loading backups but it does make noise like the ps2 normally does just a little louder and more often.
    it couldn't be the magic key's because none of the dvd's i have load, even with the door flat shut the whole time. but just to make sure i did check and they all seem to be in place, espicially tool b because i removed the spring before i installed it. i'm beginning to think it has to be the ps2 itself since it reads and swaps cd format fine but won't even load a dvd. what is the normal cause of cd format working but dvd not? the ps2 has a lot of hours on it so is it likely that the ps2 just burned out when i tried to use swap magic? maybe from the cheap dvd-r's i was using? what would i do to fix it and how much would it cost?

thanks for all your help

10. dsjlghdh

dsjlghdh Member

oh one more thing

i was wondering that if it is my laser that is shot would loading games off of i usb hard drive work? i've seen guides on how to do that and i'm just wodering if i could load games that way instead of off the discs?

11. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I don't know too much on how to explain clearly why your PS2 reads CDs or DVDs much better than vice versa so I'll let someone else dignify a response rather than what I can say properly about it.

Anyway, yes, you could salvage what remains of your v12 slim PS2 to play games off a USB HDD, but I don't recommend it because of its incredibly low number of compatibility with a lot of PS2 games, and, even though you could get such and such game(s) to work, the performance off a USB HDD barely rivals that of an IDE HDD's standards in performance. You can, however, get an HD combo fitted onto your v12 slim PS2 if you install one onto it which would allow you to then use an IDE HDD.

If you live in the U.S., teammodders is a great reliable place with reputable services and highly regarded in reputation of being one of the best out there.

Anyway, from what you've read and seen, and since your v12 slim PS2 can still read CDs in general, then yes, you could go for an HDD since the two methods of booting HDLoader is through either using the MC exploit where you install HDL onto your memory card, but you need to leave the PSX game of your choosing each time to load HDL off your memory card each time or you could use the Swap Magic 3.8 coder CD to boot off a USB flash (pen) drive to load HDL, but you have to leave the SM 3.8 coder CD to boot HDL off the pen drive each time. I don't think Swap Magic 3.6 and below can boot off a USB drive although I ain't certainly sure either since I haven't experimented with doing so nor heard of it although I'll probably give it a try something in the future to see or if something would be so kind as to answer that for me here.

12. smokyrain

smokyrain Active member

It appears to be if you read on google or elsewhere that the laser in the V12 is a poor one, something to do with the current to the laser. There is a fix made for this, that limits the current to the coils of the laser. I believe on teammodders, which I also recommend has posts about the V12 and the laser issue.

Yes you can use SM 3.6 with the USB drive.
    There is tutorial or several if you do a forum search. One in particular here.
    Or hdcombo which is also a good choice for your V12.
    Also you do realize the laser for V12 is very cheap if you wanted to fix it yourself. I have seen them cheap at other sites as well and on ebay.