1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 3.8 PS2 Disc Error Screen Fix Method(May wear laser faster)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Seclude, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Seclude

Seclude Member

Recently, A lot of issue's have been going around with the Swap Magic 3.8 Coder disc(DVD Version). I personally have purchased the combo pack with the CD Coder and the Swap tool.

One of the errors had been that you would load the Swap Magic 3.8 DVD Coder version, swap it out with a burned DVD(Yes, I use DVD+RW, and you CAN use them even though many deny it) and use the slide tool to lock it in place.

Now, when I would go to play the game, a black screen would come up while reading, then it will show the Memory Card screen where it shows the disc loading, and then the famous red screen that states "Please insert a Playstation 2 Disc".

Yes, I tried countless burning abilities and countless online searches for a fix, along with trying to load the games in different modes, with different discs, and legit discs. I always had the same issue though.

Then, I decided in the main PS2 window where the "Browser" & "System Configuration" menu is, I'd press the Triangle button and check out the hardware Version information. I seemed to have noticed a Disc Speed option in there under "PS Driver" that's set by default to Normal, and wanting to try everything, I switched it to Fast. I also changed the Texture Mapping to "Smooth" rather than the Default option of "Standard", and just for hells sake, went up to the top to my PS2 "Console" information, and switched the "Diagnosis" option to "On". This, I don't even know what it is, but I did it anyway. Oh well.

So, I loaded one of my Naruto games(Narutimatte Hero 2 JP) after booting and doing the whole Swap Magic trick, and what the hell do you know? I got the damn game to work.

I heard nothing about this method to fixing the error of the Swap Magic disc, so I felt the need to HAVE to post it. As someone who tried desperately for an answer, I KNOW how it feels to get any information that MIGHT help. So there you go.

A quick overview in detail:

Load PS2.
    Hit "Triangle".
    Go to "Playstation Driver"
    Change speed to "Fast"
    Change mapping to "Smooth"
    Hit "Circle" to return.
    Go to "Console".
    Change diagnosis to "On".
    Hit "Circle" twice to return to main.
    Open disc tray.
    Place Swap Magic 3.8 Coder disc in.
    Press the glowing blue button to load disc.
    Use Swap Tool from the left(or fliptop open) to open and get to your tray.
    Swap the Swap Magic 3.8 with your back-up game.
    Push in with your finger(NOT THE BLUE BUTTON!!!) or close fliptop.
    Use Swap Tool to the right and reverse your step to 'lock' tray(Not applicable for fliptops).
    Hit "X" on your controller under the Standard Boot option or "Special" option(Switch it up if one doesn't work).
    Wait for the game to load itself.
    You SHOULD be playing your burned copy now.

Here are my personal system versions

Console: SCPH-39001(Big, Old version)
    Driver: 1.10
    Browser & CD Player: 1.20
    DVD Player: 2.12U

My burning method using Nero 7

I load disc in my DVD writer. I open the NERO BURNING ROM program(Usually found in the 'Audio' area in the Start Menu listing for Nero). Highlight DVD-ROM(ISO) to the left side. Down at the bottom, click "NEW". Drag & Drop the game's image(iso) file in the white area to the right. Ontop within the menu area, hit "Burn". Go to the "ISO" tab. Burn in "Mode 1" in the Data Mode area. In the Filesystem, make sure the settings are on "ISO 9660 Only". Make File Name Length below that read "Max. of 30 chars". Make the Character Set read "Ascii". Now, click the "Burn" tab. Make sure "Determine Maximum Speed" is UNCHECKED, along with "SIMULATION". Make sure "Finalize" IS CHECKED. Now, go down to the Write Speed area. I usually burn at 2.4%, but some games may have loading difficulties in certain spots since it's far too slow from the 8x limit of the PS2 reader. DO NOT EVER GO OVER 8X. Some games though may be lower than 8x, but this is my way of being safe. If anything, I'm gonna generally suggest for most to burn using around 4x speed, or if you feel gutsy, jump it up once more to 6x. Better to always burn at a low speed than high. Now, make sure Write Method is set to "Disc-At-Once". Now, you're finally ready. Click "BURN". For DVD formatted PS2 games, I'd say you got a 15 minute wait. For CD formatted games, I'd say about a 7 minute wait, so go make yourself a sandwich or download some SNES and Gensis ROMS and EMULATERS and combine them in an .iso file so you can burn and play those on your PS2 for later!

Enjoy!

PS: First post, first forum, first somewhat beneficial statement I've ever made. :)

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

How long have you had your PS2? I would strongly recommend not using DVD+Rws because while you can indeed use them, they tend to wear out the PS2's laser almost as badly as using bad media quality though it's not THAT close.

The reason why I'm asking this is because, from the looks of it, your laser really does sound like it's wearing out. The Disc Speed change does like the option suggests: speeds up the reading of the disc while using up your laser's potency even more trying to read it. I have used that very option in getting my PSX games to boot up more successfully than a mere 5~10% probablity although I haven't bothered anymore since I mainly play my games off a emu nowadays.

And while this is a good help, this isn't really fixing your Swap Magic coder disc set, rather, you're squeezing out whatever remains of your laser's longevity before you need a replacement, which I suggest you look into depending on how long you've had your PS2 and so forth. From the sound of it, your SM coder disc is completely fine and intact, and it's merely your PS2 that's having trouble reading it because the laser is dying out/wearing out.

Well, good help nonetheless. I'm just trying to help you on a problem it sounds like you might be having in the future/long run.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  3. Seclude

Seclude Member

Thanks. Actually, I assumed I might've had some laser issues. I guess you can say you more or so verified it for me. In the past, the laser didn't even read legit DVD movies, but I somehow fixed it when I opened up the PS2 and played with stuff. Might've just been dust or how i left a marker line on the little spinny wheel thing cuz it seemed to be rugid in turning, but there have been clear signs lately. I've had my PS2 for... wow, a very very long time actually. 5 years maybe? I got it around '01-'02, so yeah, it probably is wearing.

I didn't know doing this can cause you to burn the laser quicker though. That's very informative. Thank you. I do have a question though. Is replacing the laser a tough job, or can it easily be done? I might be nervous to do it, but if I hear or see some sort of tutorial, I'll probably just go and buy a new laser now. I'm gonna use google, but since you seem to know about this, I thought maybe you'd have the best resources.

When I figure out how, I'm gonna edit my post with a warning about this method of using the SM. Thank you so much for taking the time to write up this information.

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

If you live in the U.S., teammodders is a great reliable and reputable place that's been around for quite some time. The older members like steimy would grandly suggest this place too I think. As for replacing the laser yourself, I highly recommend a professional to do that unless you are extremely confident you can do so with simple written instructions.

Edit:
    Ahh, so you did adjust the CD/DVD diode on your old PS2?

Personally, my old v5/v6 PS2 will probably be gone in a few more months. The PS2's laser anyway for that matter. The only reason I can prolong its life more is due to the HDD I recently installed on it. Although I'm tempted in performing the laser replacement myself, since I've heard so much of teammodders and how awesome they were, and plus, they live quite nearby from where I'm at, then I rather spend the extra bucks in doing a guaranteed installation with successful results rather than risk damaging something in my fat PS2 unknowingly. The instructions on how to install a laser is simple though. But you need to really pay attention to what you're doing. The only reason I find myself not doing this is because I'm afraid of accidentally pulling a ribbon out or something and wrecking my PS2 trying to put it back in.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007