1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 3.8 USA version can play Japanese games too right?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Alex187, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Alex187

Alex187 Member

Swap Magic 3.6 allows both American and Japanese games playable.

Upon purchasing Swap Magic 3.8/Coder there was 3 versions.
    1. NTSC - USA/CANADA
    2. PAL - EURO/AUSTRALIA
    3. NTSC - JAPANESE

So if I chose #1 I cant play Japanese games? I'm assuming I can and picking Japanese version will just make Swap Magic menu screen in japanese letters.

Hope im right.....

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Those specific formats, whether it is a NTSC, PAL or NTSC-J are for the region your PS2 is from. Say you bought a PS2 from America, then the format is a NTSC. So if you want to buy a Swap magic set to play import games, whether they are a PAL or NTSC-J (for Japan) game, then you would need to buy the specific SM set for the region your console is from so your console can read it. Since I have NTSC console, I would buy a NTSC version of Swap Magic so my PS2 slim can read it, and I can then go ahead and play import/backed-up games to my desires. I hope you understand. Typed it in a rush. If not, someone else will surely help.

P.S> And vice versa. A Pal SM set to play both NTSC or NTSC-J region-coded games. A NTSC-J(for Japan) SM set to play both Pal and NTSC region-coded games. You get the picture, right?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  3. Alex187

Alex187 Member

Yeh I do. So I should still be able to play some japanese games right?

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Yes, if in fact, you do have a NTSC region PS2 from the NA, then getting the NTSC-region coded Swap Magic disc set is what you should be getting so your PS2 can read the disc. If you got like a Pal or NTSC-J region Swap Magic disc set for your NTSC PS2, then you wouldn't be able to read any of them. Hope it helps.

Oh btw, I forgot to read the thread title. My bad, lol. So yes, the USA SM 3.8 can read/play Jap games too. KH2:FM+ sure is nice.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  5. Alex187

Alex187 Member

Your the best, thanks.

BTW, you know Japanese? I would import KHII+ but Im unable to read JP =/

6. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Off Topic: Not really, only minor stuff at most; although, it does help if you've played the original KH2 and switch the audio tracks from Jap to English since if you play it on English, imo, I never gotten lost.