1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by RMoses10, Jan 21, 2008.

1. RMoses10

RMoses10 Member

Why can't someone just develop a boot disk for the Xbox 360 like they did with the PS2? In case you don't know how Swap Magic works, all you do is put in the Swap Magic boot disk, let it load, eject the drive using the Swap Magic card, and replace it with the copied game, then just put the drive back into place and press boot. Simple. Why can't this be done with the 360? I found this tutorial on opening your drive without pressing eject so wouldn't it work?

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/manual_eject_xbox_360_dvd.htm

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Because it's much easier to just take 10 minutes and flash the drive once and be done with it.

3. comminup

comminup Regular member

makes plenty good sence....... for all those who would rather use the swap over buying a sata card that will never be used after flashing, and having to do all that work just to flash. a swap disc is just what the 360 needs........

4. RMoses10

RMoses10 Member

I think so too. Wouldn't this make you less detectable to Microsoft?

5. wabashman

wabashman Active member

a swap magic would be nice, no voided warranty, no painful flashing steps, just all around easier.

6. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

I concur.

7. NserUame

NserUame Regular member

You'd still be just as susceptible (sp?) to getting banned on Xbox Live, you'd still have the burned copy to worry about. And if anyone remembers the Swap magic for the PS2 was a pain in the ass. You had to take the damn drive cover off everytime you wanted to play a new game. Which was a feat in itself not breaking the flimsy plastic bits.

8. RMoses10

RMoses10 Member

I don't know what SM you're talkin about. The one i remember was quick, easy, and was well worth the $40 i was saving for every game. That's just me tho. And all we would need is a boot disc because as you can see from the link above, you can use a paperclip to open it.

9. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

Yeah, you didn't have to take the PS2's cover off.

All I did was unscrew the front plate thing from the dvd drive, and then made a slide card from an old ID I didn't need. Found a pic of the original slide card and just used some scissors to make my own.

Worked just fine.

10. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Probably won't happen for the 360. If you FW mod your drive, you only open the 360 once and then never have to worry about swaping every time. When I had my ps2, my son liked to change games so often that Swap Magic in itself became a pain. I just got a modchip and was done with it.

11. wabashman

wabashman Active member

yea, it was a pain, i went from SM to using a 500 gig HD in the expansion bay of the ps2. much easier, except for call of duty big red 1, it never wanted to load the next level, it always reset itself to the boot menu for some reason.

12. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

SM was great ... for loading the memory card exploit! I've got an 80gb HDD in my old PS2 with some games on it ... just leave my PS1 disc in there, get to the loader window after running it through the mem card browser, and I can access all my old games whenever I want! Thanks Swap Magic!

13. RMoses10

RMoses10 Member

What is an FW mod? I just want a simple way of being able to play backups on the 360 without screwing up my whole system and/or getting thrown off xbox live

14. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

firmware mod

as long as you follow the directions in the guide that's been floating around you shouldn't screw your system up

but the problem with the FW mod is you'll have to open up your 360, and possibly your computer too and do all kinds of annoying stuff

also there's still a possibility of being caught on live and being banned

until there's a fool proof mod I think I'll stick to buying originals

15. varnull

varnull Guest

I don't like flashing 360's either.. Not since having to learn to do it all in a rush after overlord came out and screwed up all the existing flashed ones.

The risk of actually killing the drive board is real, and has happened to me once..

16. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

??? There wasn't anything different on Overlord as compared to any other game. What problem did you have?

17. NserUame

NserUame Regular member

I'd say the risk of destroying your xbox while flashing is slim. I did it and I'm borderline retarded. The fact is even if they did make a swap magic for the 360 you'd still eventually get banned as it is the GAMES, not the firmware that'll get you banned.

If you're worried about getting banned then don't mod your 360 or play burned games. Really it's a stupid point, if my xbox got banned today I'd have gotten 12 free games out of the deal, paying for a new xbox twice over.