1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swap magic and slide tool killed my ps2

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Levitan16, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

when i put in a game it sounds like the drive cant spin or something i dont get anything just reading disk the whole time, if i get a fliptop cover would it fix it. i have a V7 ps2

2. Trainp

Trainp Member

I have heard that with the slide tool if u do it incoorectly the chances of you messing up your ps2 is highly possible....i dont know if a flip cover top would fix your problem if i were u ill put back the piece u had to remove for the slide too lto work back on and see if your ps2 works...and if it works which im sur eit will get the flip cover top

3. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

can u say it more clearly

4. Trainp

Trainp Member

Ok Put back that piece you removed in order to make that slide tool work...i am sure u had to remove the front piece on the front...now put that back on and see if your ps2 plays regular games....now after this if it works then you should return that slide tool and get a flip cover top.......i am pretty sure i am clearer this time

5. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

also the ps2 takes longer to start

6. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

are you sliding it all the way back after you have put your backup in the drive? if you do this bit wrong then it will sonud like you describe.

the little metal thing the slide tool grabs hold of must be returned to the original position before you press x

7. meowmie

meowmie Member

I just got the slide tool, wasnt untill i re-read the instuctions a few times i realised after pushing the drive back in that you need to make sure it is locked properly again. Mine was doing exactly as you described trying to read and failing.
    after you push it back in you need to do the left to right slide again, the try will start to come out then when you feel it go over a little bump pull the slide tool back to the left hand side again and you will see and hear the tray lock correctly

8. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

when i try to start an original game it makes that noise and dosnt read the disc without using swap magic or the slide tool

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  9. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

well you might have done the slide wrong earlier and got the tray opening bits jammed in the wrong place.

my brother did this to mine the first day i got the slide tool when he tried to copy me. i had to open the ps2 up and look where the parts were meant to be and push them back into place by hand.

10. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

the tray comes out but dosnt read the disk

11. tankpower

tankpower Regular member

My ps2 tray started wearing out a while back, and now it won't eject smoothly at all. I have a flip-top so I always load through that, but I had to realign the tray manually when I installed it.

Try to physically take off the tray. You should have some sliding/telescoping pieces that it moves on; I don't remember exactly.

Just get everything in place so the tray is at least firmly set in an even position (mine wants to tilt), and then DON'T move it. Get a flip-top if you need to, and never have to mess with it again. My 2 cents.

12. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

when you say it sounds like the drive wont spin.you mean it is silent,because that is the sound you would get if it is not spinning.if yu are getting a loud obnoxious noise like the playstation is eating your dvd that means you dvd is not sitting on the spindle that goes thru the middle of the disc properly.when the spindle stops so the laser can shift to other areas of the disk the dvd continues to rotate around the spindle making that wretched sound.also making it harder to read the disc.if this is the case try putting a small piece os scotch tape thru the hole of the disc,put one end of tape on the clear middle section of the disc making sure not to get it on the data and label area,then thread the tape thru the hole and attach it to the other side,press down the tape firm and smooth out.this gives better traction to the spindle.then try it out.if this doesnt work you might want to clean your lens with rubbing alcohol(fixed my ps2).adjusting the lens isnt to beneficial, but fun to do.but try the tape and see if that is a quick fix.

13. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

yeah the sound it makes is like a really loud grinding noise

14. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

then your dvd is slipping on the spindle.try the tape and see if it works.spindles usely have ball bearings to hold the dvd in place.you might be missing a bearing on your spindle.did you ever take off the ps2 cover then take off the cover to the dvd tray?

15. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

i tried the tape and it still makes that noise

16. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

no ive never removed the cover on the ps2

17. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

now i tried to leave the ps2 on for awhile and the grinding noise stoped after a couple of minutes and it reads the disc

18. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

was that with or without the tape?and did you use scotch tape?

19. Levitan16

Levitan16 Member

i dont get it how could the system fix itself now i took off the tape and the game works and now the system boots up fast

20. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

you might have had a stuck ball bearing and the tape might have dislodged it?anyway it now works so there is no problem now."playstations work in mysteriuos ways"