1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swap magic backup

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dogma, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Dogma

Dogma Member

I want to back up my swap magic disk but Im not sure if I can do it with a cd-r. I don't have a dvd burner all I have is an old hp 4X4X16. slow as hell but it burns good enough.

2. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

3. Dogma

Dogma Member

Does the Action Replay disk have the same issue?

4. jay33

jay33 Regular member

You can't copy the Action Replay disc, either.

5. robert34

robert34 Guest

you can copy them fine, but you will not be able to play them, you cant burn the bad sectors that are in ps2 discs.

If you were able to to copy swap magic discs, then you would be able to copy any ps2 disc and play it without the need of swap magic.

6. Dogma

Dogma Member

thanks for the info. I guess I'll just wait until swap magic 3.0 comes out. If I get an action replay or a game shark do I need swap magic or a mod chip?

7. Oner

You would need a modchip.

8. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

Are you saying, "you would need a mod chip" to use the Swap Magic?????? Cos you DON'T need a mod chip to use Action Replay or Game Shark, you can use a DIY swipe card.

i thought you could use the Swap Magic without a mod chip, cos they are factory pressed, so they have the correct boot sequence or whatever on them????

lucky i found the cogswap loader and exploit before i bought a swap magic then, ha ha.

9. Oner

His question was

I answered

Next time read before you make a wrong statement.

10. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

But you DON'T NEED a mod chip to play backups with a Game Shark/Action Replay, so you are wrong.

I don't have a mod chip, i just use a swipe card. i Have been using the Action Replay as a swap disk for about 6 months now, so i think i can safely say than no mod chip is required.

"next time think before you make a wrong statement". ass.

11. Oner

It seems you are sorely mistaken because you talk of stuff you don't know about me. He cannot use Swap Magic AND a GS WITH a Backup. Yes he can use a GS but he needs the right version and even then it causes problems, which is why I suggested a modchip to answer that specific question. But you would know that I am familiar with that method because in my thread at the very top of the PS2 forum is my tutorial which has been up for much longer than 6 months. It seems you don't know how to read so I will post some of it here....

[bold]PS2 without modchip, using GS/AR/Swap Magic with a Swipe/Slide Card or Flip Top, PS2 CD backup booting[/bold]

1. Have AR/GS dongle in a memory card slot
    2. Power on your PS2
    3. Insert AR/GS disc
    4. At the AR/GS menu, select Start Game, With or Without codes
    5. Use Flip Top or Swipe/Slide Card to open PS2 tray
    6. Swap/Insert your PS2 CD backup
    7. Close Flip Top or use Swipe/Slide Card to close PS2 tray then press X
    8. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - For Swap Magic just insert the CD boot disc, press Reset and when "Insert Disc" is shown on screen proceed from step 5.

*Important* You have to have the correct version of AR/GS in order to boot backups

[bold]PS2 without modchip, Using GS/AR/Swap Magic with Swipe/Slide Card or Flip Top, PS2 DVD backup booting[/bold]

1. Have AR/GS dongle in a memory card slot
    2. Power on your PS2
    3. Insert AR/GS disc, press Reset
    4. At the AR2/GS2 menu, press EJECT
    5. Swap AR/GS disc for an Original-TOC-DVD* and wait 10 seconds
    6. Select "AR/GS Codes"
    7. Highlight "Add new code" and press X to get to the next screen
    8. Press X three times. You will see "Updating code list please wait" each time)
    9. Press "Start" on controller
    10. Select "Without codes", press X
    11. Press X again, you will see "Updating code list please wait"
    12. You will hear Original DVD stop spinning
    13. You will have about 10 seconds to do the following 2 steps
    14. Immediately after disc stops spinning open Flip Top or use Swipe/Slide Card to open PS2 tray
    15. Close Flip top or Use Swipe/Slide Card to close PS2 tray then press X
    16. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - "Original-TOC-DVD" is an original DVD that is a larger file size than the backup

* Note - For a shortcut make a few “Add new codes”, or use any title you know you don’t need (you can always reset the dongle) and after step 6 just highlight one of the “newly” added codes or unnecessary ones and press square to delete it, then proceed on with step 9

* Note - For Swap Magic just insert the DVD boot disc, press Reset and when "Insert Disc" is shown on screen use Swipe/Slide Card for swap and follow on screen directions.

*Important* You have to have the correct version of AR/GS in order to boot backups

[bold]Swipe Card Info[/bold]

The only modification is the front tray cover has to be taken off. On the bottom of the tray (when ejected) remove the little screw and with a quick tug (holding the faceplate on both sides) the cover will pop off. If the little clip(s) break it is okay you can alway glue it back on if needed. I cannot attach the movie files but have the links for them here (right click and save as to download to your PC)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/checkmate/Swap magic movie.wma

http://cliche.parameter.dk/click/6573d7da05682eeee6badf6a300b4d8d

http://cliche.parameter.dk/click/14840328ba87a8e4856d47a85e89e3c1

[bold]Swipe Card Template[/bold]

[​IMG]

[bold]Attached picture is the Pin that is needed to be moved. Make sure it is all the way left or right when you are swapping discs[/bold]

[​IMG]

If you can manage to read through that...It says exactly the whole process so you see next time think before you make a wrong statement as you tried to turn it back on me. Here is some more proof http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/24451 but you "know" everything right? Next time do a search before ASSuming you know me.

Oh and one more thing, reply one more time disrepecting or trying to flame me (because you already have broken 2 rules) and you will be banned. Bye Bye...

12. Oner

Dogma if there is anything else you need to know don't hesitate to ask, I am sure compitent, kind members will help you along with me. Good Luck.

13. Dogma

Dogma Member

Are there any advantages to having swap magic verses having an action replay or game shark? one last question would be which version(s) of AR/GS would work with a version 7 ps2?

14. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

the major advantage of the swap magic discs is that they are specifically desinged for doing the swap, so i presume they have higher TOC, etc.

also with newer versions of the AR/GS, it's impossible to stop a DVD original from spinning, even with the dave mirra trick or the "add new codes" trick.

so to boot DVD-R with the newer AR/GS you'de have to first boot some other downloaded program like CDloader or Cogswaploader (thus making it a triple swap method).

also, swap magic doesn't have any "dongle" (ha ha, god knows who started calling it that, ha ha) liek the AR/GS, so you free up your memory card slot.

and finally, the AR/GS discs have those stupid fusking movies at the beggining. if you wanna use them for swap tricking, they get VERY ANNOYING (i know you can skip them by pressing x, but it's still annoying). Swap magic discs don't have these, so it's much quicker.

however, swap magic can't play PSX backups (yet. i don't know if they have future plans for a psx disc???), whereas AR/GS come with a "bonus cd" which lets you boot psx games (so you can swap trick to play psx backups same as for ps2 games).

well, i think that's everything. that;s all i can think of for now.

15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

GS/AR doesn't work right now with V7's,but I heard they are coming out with a gameshark that will work with V7's.

16. Cheatmstr

Cheatmstr Member

where didu hear that gs/ar doesn't work with v7 ps2? i got a v7 and it works great with codes and the swap trick. to do the swap trick u need a gameshark v2 or under.

17. Oner

I would say you might want to wait for the new Swap Magic 3.0 as it is *supposed* to do PS1 CD, PS2 CD, PS2 DVD, Double Check games, deal with TOC, version 7's & newer, etc, etc, etc...

GlennT has some very valid points with the versions of GS/AR and compatible PS2's. There was also some info on Zoneloader (similar to SM3.0) but last I heard it was dropped? I think LBurna had some more info on this...(sorry if I have the wrong member name in my head)._X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]Please use the Search function http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/ before posting or refer to my Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2003
  18. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I know for a fact it doesn't work on a V7 with a Fliptop.I wasn't really sure about the swaptrick.They are fixing the Fliptop gameshark though.I read it off of http://www.saveware.com/swapmagicX.htm .Read off of this site it says it at the very bottom of it.

19. eliot1864

eliot1864 Guest

So here's a great question. I need to be able to play a PSX backup. I don't want to buy a GS or AR. I have a flip top with Swap Magic ver 2.0 that runs on my Version 7 PS2. So my question is: Is there someway to load Swap Magic, then run a PSX bootdisc that will then allow me to boot a PSX backup?

I'm guessing this would work straight up if I bought a GS, but is there someway to do it without having to buy additional hard/software? Some kind of additional software I could burn like a bootloader, etc. Please let me know. Thanks!