1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic better with fat or slim PS2?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dr_Clark, May 13, 2007.

1. Dr_Clark

Dr_Clark Member

I currently own an older model PS2 (model # SCPH-35001) with a no-solder mod-chip and Swap Magic 3.6. Just recently my PS2's laser packed it in (I have confirmed this through testing) and am deciding whether to purchase a new laser($80 CDN) or to purchase a slim PS2 and Flip-Top ($160 CDN).

I am wondering, through your experiences, what option would be best?

What are the advantages of going with either fixing my current PS2 or going with a new slim PS2 and a flip top, while taking into consideration I will be using swap magic?

I have taken a brief look and havn't noticed if there are flip tops available for the V15 machines; is this correct and they are only available for earier models?

First off, I will mention that I don't currently spend much time playing video games and there for am very happy with the PS2, so please don't recommend that I purchase a PS3 or a 360.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

2. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Fat ps2 is better for modding in everything.

And if you're going to buy a PS2 with swap magic, instead buy a premodded console from TeamModders.

3. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I have both a silver slim v15 PS2 and a v5/v6 fat PS2, and I have yet to have my fat PS2 kick the bucket but when it does, I fully intend to modify it with a mod-chip for mere convenience including a laser replacement.

For Swap Magic, should you spend money on a laser replacement for your fat PS2 or convert and get a slim PS2?

I would suggest keeping your fat PS2 and getting a laser replacement because the overheating issues on the slimline can be quite bothersome. And, hey, it's cheaper too. 80 for the laser plus installation fees and shipping and handling included you say? People are fortunate not to have (or not notice perhaps?) the overheating issues on their slim PS2s but it plagues mine noticeably although the air ventilation is much nicer in the fat PS2s compared to the slim PS2s so you don't have to worry about playing too long on your fatty and worry about overheating (it's noticeable on the slim PS2 playing certain games after passing an hour or two) Although I complain about this, I usually play for a standard hour or two interval and break for a good 15~30 minutes before resuming play mostly. If you can get a cooling system for the slim PS2 and it works, go for it. I have yet to see a good one out on the market and worth the money.

Now the slim PS2 isn't too bad. Although it has some known compatibility issues with playing certain games like my old PSX games like Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, which I dearly miss, and PSX Thousand Arms, it's quite a small list, however, the fat PS2s don't have this problem except those that can't play DVD9 games. As much as I hate my slim PS2, I love it too because of the laser. I like to call the laser precision at its finest (or is it just my luck) because it's marvelous at reading games in really bad conditions like my FF7 and FF8, whose scratches came from the old PSX which are known to do so in older versions, and my horribly wrecked copy of DQ8 I thought I never would have been able to play again because the scratches are more than simple hairline scratches.

For convenience, I still like my slim PS2 because I got it simply for that reason alone. I'm still afraid of one day misusing a slide card and doing something wrong. Having a slim PS2 relieves me of those worries because I don't have to bother doing nothing more than opening and closing the lid instead of worrying about locking the tray properly and such. The process of locking and closing the tray properly doesn't bother me but having negligence on my behalf happen at anytime makes me worry.

Of course, you could get a flip-top case and begone with the slide card but a lot of flip-top covers I've seen aren't too good in my opinion. If the installation is improperly done or the case is disproportional, you're looking at continuously made hairline scratches on occasion on your Swap Magic disc until your PS2 may not be able to read it after sometime. Am I being paranoid? Probably, but it's not like I have to live with the consequences on a what-if scenario happening like what my friend is doing with his fat PS2 and his custom flip-top case making scratches on any game he plays on it. When his Swap Magic isn't being read anymore, I already warned him so his fault for not listening about suggestions to fix it. As for the solutions on loosing bolts on the custom flip-top case to remedy this problem you may have heard about, I highly don't think I want to do that. The fat PS2 is in a room where any rumbling may happen at any moment but is on a safe and secure shelf I use for my TV too. The trembles may not be enough to move my TV of course, but it could shake the lower levels at least well enough if it happens. (that's how hard you can feel it, lol)

Good luck deciding and respond here what you may do. I'll be curious at your decision.

Edit: To answer your other question, quote: "I have taken a brief look and havn't noticed if there are flip tops available for the V15 machines; is this correct and they are only available for earier models?" Quote from a previous post of mine I just did recently

What the magic keys do is hold the sensors (the security indicators) in place without the system knowing you have the lid open so you can swap your SM disc for a backed-up game/import. If you want to do a tissue mod, which there are clear instructions how to do so around here somewhere, the main ones you should be worrying about is the on/reset button on the slim PS2 you can easily hold down with a tissue, the disc break -- the thing to the right of the laser on the slimline -- held back to the right firmly in place, and the magic switch, which is underneath the left hinge of the flip top, here. So you see, no need for a custom lid or keys. You can easily get materials around your house and do the blocking yourself.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  4. Dr_Clark

Dr_Clark Member

I have decided to keep my fat PS2 and purchase a replacement laser. A big reason for my decision is that I just upgraded the hard drive in my computer and have decided to install one of my newly available hard drives on my PS2 and run HD advance.

Thanks OmriSama and Z3120 for the input.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

that is a good choice. I have owned 2 fat models (V5/6 and V7) and a slimline (V12) and i would say that if i did not totally pimp out the V12 i would have not bothered playing with it over the older system which are much easier to mod.

But since i got the modchip, laser fix, HD Combo case with 250GB internal hard drive (in the V12). Well the system has never let me down.

6. landras

landras Member

hi there, since you own a swap magic, I have a question about the size of the ISO files that you can play with it, I read that 4.35GB is the limit, the thing is I got Kill zone I made the ISO and it is 4.5GB, I used is isobuster to see if there was some dummies but it was clean, so what I should do? burn the buck up and give it a shoot?
    thank you

7. HG27

HG27 Guest

8. landras

landras Member

Hi man, thank you very much, it helped. Looks like I do not need to do anything if I want my back up to play off line. But if I want to play on-line I have to patch the game with this file:
    Killzone USA (Echelon) SMFIX *v7+ PROPER* [4.06 MB]

the question is how I do that?
    thank you