1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swap magic disks

Discussion in 'PS2 - CD backup discussion' started by silvar48, Feb 4, 2005.

1. silvar48

silvar48 Member

is there any way to backup the swap magic disks?

2. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

3. silvar48

silvar48 Member

any particular reason why?

4. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

Ok, sort of. Swap Magic discs are created with industrial press machines, and what they do is press 'Swap Magic' onto old, original cd/dvd ps2 games. (for example, they may take Crazy Taxi and press Swap Magic right on top of it)

They do this because ps2 games have necessary booting information on their discs cleverly placed on areas that your and my burners cannot read nor write at.
    Since we can't get that booting info onto our discs, we require a modchip or Swap Magic disc to boot the backups for us.

Also, i believe they do some funky stuff with dead sectors that we can't really duplicate properly too.

Finally, even if we could get some form of a backup of Swap Magic, you would need to boot it with your original copy anyway because it's still a backup.

That's basically the jist of it.

5. silvar48

silvar48 Member

that makes sense...Thanks for the info.

6. rain7777

rain7777 Guest

im trying to learn how to burn ps2 games to cd.the first thang i need to know is how to get my ps2 to play burnt ps2 games.can anyone help?

7. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Alright, first off, you will need a mod chip or some sort of swap method (such as swap magic) in order to play your backup games. With saying that, go and check out this site...

http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone

8. rain7777

rain7777 Guest

i dont really understand what you mean by swap method.where do i find swap magic?and what is it?

9. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

10. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

11. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

ok, let me explain this in a little more depth.

If you want your ps2 to be able to play burned ps2 games, you need to either put a mod chip in your system or soft mod it (swap magic is a type of soft mod).

A Mod chip is a mini motherboard looking device that has solder points on the ends of it. You need to solder wires from the end points on the mod chip to certain points on the ps2's mother board in order to get the mod chip working.

If you do not want to solder a mod chip into your ps2 for some reason, then you would want to use some type of soft mod (also known as a swap method).

Swap magic is a type of soft mod that requires no soldering what-so-ever. It is a disc that you put into your ps2's cd/dvd rom drive. Then with your slide card or some other object you pull out the ps2 tray without pressing the eject button, then put in your burned ps2 game and press ok to launch the burned ps2 game.

Does this help?

12. rain7777

rain7777 Guest

pimp dawg thanks alot for the help.i got it now.

13. jeanreno

jeanreno Member

I dont suppose a dumbcopier would work? You know, a production machine that isnt any more than just a simple machine that writes discs 1:1? Like the kind they have in dvd production studios and stuff, because I may be able to gain access to one. It doesnt seem that there would be any problem since there isnt any software involved or anything to stop you from having bad sectors written in a 1:1 copy. Any idea if one of those machines would work?

14. lbp

lbp Member

hey, pimpdawg i was jus wonderin if u can link me somehow to somewher that i can learn to softmod a ps2, without needing to purchase nething or atleast use minimum cash. im a broke mofo lol
    thanz for your time b

15. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest