1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic Mega Confusion

Discussion in 'PS2' started by keffinj, Dec 15, 2003.

1. keffinj

keffinj Member

I've looked for the answer to this for ages...please forgive me if it has been covered already...

I have Swap Magic 2.00 and a slide card. I have a US PS2 (SCHP-39001 - I think that is version 7). I moved from the UK to the USA so I have a lot of original (no back-ups at all) UK (PAL) PS2 games.

When I have swapped the disks and put the UK game in etc etc, the game boots up but the screen continuously flickers and the colour is in black and white.

I assume that this is some kind of PAL vs NTSC problem? I am pretty mad because Magic Swap 2 was meant to be able to play any region PS2 games on a US PS2.

Am I just being silly or have I missed something completely?

I saw on a couple of threads earlier this month that some-one said that they could play PAL originals on their NTSC PS2 using Magic Swap but I am totally confused.

I would sincerely appreciate any help from you guys...

Thank you very much in advance.

2. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

3. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

4. keffinj

keffinj Member

Thanks very much - I'll check it out but I think I was using the swap disks correctly - but then again....

Let me check it out.

5. keffinj

keffinj Member

Hmmmm, looks like I was doing it right okay after all.

Like I said, when the Swap Magic card asks me to insert my disk, I use the slide card sucessfully, open the drawer and put my original UK game in, then I can shut the drawer and use the slide card again to shut it properly.

After I hit x, the UK game starts to boot up immediately, but the output on the TV constantly flickers (like it keeps on going up off the top of the screen to reappear at the bottom of the screen over and over again). I seem to get sound so I can hear all of the game music and stuff.

Now I've done some research I seem to have seen something about Swap Magic 3.00 being able to play original import games - which is exactly what the original is meant to do!! Arghhhhhh

Hulk mad.

6. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold] sorry that doesnt help. but if the slide isnt workin for you i suggest you gettin a flip top. its much easier to swap the game than the slide card and more reliable. i heard many people are satisfy with it.[/bold]

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

cd loader might help.

8. RazorMan

RazorMan Guest

Have read something about that problem, try using an RGB cabel instead.....I'll try and find the page I read about this problem and give it to you!

9. bloke2000

bloke2000 Member

Could it be as simple as your TV does not support PAL?

10. keffinj

keffinj Member

Thanks you guys for all your help.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain it is an output thing - could be an RGB thing.

I think this TV probably doesn't support PAL but I thought the Magic Swap disks were meant to convert the output to NTSC anyway?

Ah well. I'll keep digging around and keep you posted of any progress.

Thanks once again, guys.

11. keffinj

keffinj Member

Hi all,
    At the bottom of this mystery it seems.

I emailed the place where I got it from giving them details of the problem - as expected I have not heard from them since...(consolesource.com) - I don't expect to either.

However, I did email mod-chip.com. They replied almost immediately saying that if you want to play PAL games using Magic Swap then your TV must be a multisystem one, i.e. it must be able to play back both NTSC and PAL formats.

So basically I am screwed unless I buy a multiregion TV (which I'm not). Looks like I'm gonna have to sell my 20 or so UK games.

Thanks for all your help...hopefully this email in turn will help someone else out.

Right, I'm off to set up an account on Ebay....

12. keffinj

keffinj Member

Oh yeah, bloke2000 - you were right on the money! Shame they don't tell you that before you buy the thing!

13. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold] u dont need to buy a multiregion tv because i remember readind a post sayin that u can buy this one thing for like $15 and it will let u play PAL and NTSC on your tv. sorry i cant remeber what its call.[/bold]

14. bloke2000

bloke2000 Member

you may not be out of luck yet.

If your VCR supports PAL then run the PS2 through the VCR using the VCR as a PAL to NTSC modulator.

Its gotta be worth a try.

Good Luck!!