1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic, PAL Game and NTSC Ps2 Question!

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by dacylunia, Aug 9, 2013.

1. dacylunia

dacylunia Newbie

Hello I have three questions about SwapMagic (I recently learned about) and PAL games on NTSC PS2 (fat) I wanted to make sure I know all the facts before I buy the Swap Magic

1) I want to play a PAL game on NTSC ps2 (fat) and which version should I buy? I read a lot of 3.6 and 3.8 but I wasn't clearly sure.

2) I heard that to play PAL game, Swapmagic is not enough. As in you also have to have a television that will receive the PAL signal..??! But I thought it you use Swapmagic that was not necessary... could someone clarify this please?

3)IF I HAVE TO have a television that can receive PAL signal then I might just think about buying a Japanese version of the game instead. Does the Japanese game also require a television that receive... uh...some type of signal like PAL? If not, what SwapMagic version should I buy?

Thank you all so much you are reading this! :3

It is really appreciated if these questions are answered!

2. spideray

spideray Member

I have SM v3.6 DVD version and can use it to play most NTSC games even backups on my Fat (SCPH-30003_BIOS_V3_PAL_120 PS2) and PAL TV however the screen is lifted about 1/3 above the normal I think that this needs a Y-Fix, the DVD v3.6 wont do this. Other than that it will work and you can play it.

I have had limited success using the SWAPMAGIC.ELF (v3.8) coder file running it through FMCB v1.93 it appears to work however it won't load the games it might work for you.

One if the best ways is to the the PAL2NTSC or NTSC2PAL ISO patcher by JayteeMaster this will convert your ISO and correct this Y-fix problem you can even ESR patch the ISO before you burn it. I have loads of success with about 95% of all NTSC games using this method however for some reason it wont work on Star Wars BF 2 where the DVD version 3.6 will if you can live with the screen shift.

3. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

Actually there is another solution as well!!!

go to amazon and purchase a ps2 component cable.

if you have a component cable you can use the console on a hdtv without any issues because several hd tvs to cut costs can display ntsc and pal