1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swap magic problems

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by OmicronBP, Oct 12, 2004.

1. OmicronBP

OmicronBP Member

I've read through many threads here, and I haven't been able to find a clear solution to my problem. If I have missed it somewhere, I apologize, but alas, here is my problem:

I just purchased swap magic 3.2/2.0 for my brand new ps2. I'm assuming my ps2 is the latest version (v10?) since I just purchased it a month or so ago. My ultimate goal is to be able to play my game backups online. I understand the process of needing a disc ID and patching the .iso of the backup image i create. I have the Disc ID utility and I have burned it onto a Memorex CDR using Nero. The process I am unsure about is how exactly to "load" this utility so that I can find the Disc ID of my original game so that I can bypass DNAS with my backup. Here is the process that I have taken that does not seem to work:

1. Load the SwapMagic 3.2 CD disc.
    2. At the "load program" prompt, I use my slide card to open the tray.
    3. Insert burned Disc ID utility
    4. Close tray using slide card
    5. Hit X on controller.

I get a red line at the top of the screen and then nothing. What steps am I missing if any?

Another related question is What are these CDLoader7 and DVDLoader7 utilities for that I have downloaded? Do I need to burn these to a disc and use these every single time I want to load a backed up disc? I thought that Swap Magic was enough to get this done.

And yet another question (my last one, sorry): When I try to insert the SwapMagic DVD 2.0 disc, it doesn't seem to work... it just goes to a normal Sony screen that shows an image of a memory card and a disc. does the DVD disc not work with my version of PS2?

I haven't actually tried loading a backed up game yet because I want to get this Disc ID utility working before I burn the game... so I don't really know if that will work or not either. I apologize for my newbness and many questions, but then again that's what these forums are for right? Please help. Thanks.

2. DPB

DPB Member

Red line means you burned the image wrong or your media is crappy or it isn't reading it for some other reason. Try reburning the image correctly or on better media.

cd\dvd loader/v7, cogswap etc.. These are non bootable apps that you use in combination with a bootable disk to expand upon the capabilities of other said boot disks. Example: Swap magic may not be able to boot a ceartin game so after booting swap magic you boot cd loader and then swap to backup and it should work.

Last question. While at the memory card/game disk screen have you you tried turning the power off and back on? or clicking reset button? Or clicking x on the disk as you would a game?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  3. OmicronBP

OmicronBP Member

i attempted to burn disc id utility again using Alcohol 120% as some other threads have suggested, but i get the same problem. And actually, it's not a red line, it's purple. dunno if that's the same as the red though... perhaps it is my media. are there any other explanations for this? am I performing the steps correctly in order to "load" this utility?

in regards to the memory card/game disc screen... I have tried all of those things and they all lead me back to the same memory card/game disc screen. do you know if SwapMagic DVD 2.0 is compatible with the newer PS2s?

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

swap magic dvd ver 2.0 works on all version of ps2 and at what speed did you burn your id utility

5. OmicronBP

OmicronBP Member

maximum speed.

so any ideas as to why my swap magic dvd 2.0 will not work?

6. jor5dan

jor5dan Member

I just received my ps2 cover with the swap disc and I just downloaded the dvd decrypter. I have to have a 72 minute cdr disc and i wanted to know where do i buy them at??? staples??? radio shack??? and does it have to be a particular one?

7. OmicronBP

OmicronBP Member

anyone else have any advice for me?

8. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

try burning you id utility at 4x

9. OmicronBP

OmicronBP Member

same thing...

and i STILL can't get my DVD swap disc to work at all.

am i just stupid? or am i just prone to getting ripped off by these damn things??? or perhaps both

10. OmicronBP

OmicronBP Member

btw, i figured out that i have a v9 ps2

11. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

so what your saying is you can't even get your swapmagic dvd disc to boot, if that's what your saying i would suggest you contact your supplier and tell them you think you got a bad swapmagic disc and see if they will swap them for you

12. goorak

goorak Member

i get the same problem now, but its been working normally for the last few months... dunno what happened -_-"

13. diverine

diverine Member

Hi Omicron,

might sound stupid, but I had the same problem you had with swap magic.

ok, here's what you should do....

after you insert your back up cd, you push the tray back in. DO NOT PRESS X YET!!! You have to use your slider again, this time from right to left to pull the white pin back on its original spot. This aligns the tray with the lens.
    And finally, you press X! Voila....

Good luck

14. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

I can never get my swap magic to boot a cd straight of.
    This is what i have to do:
    Insert swap magic cd version.
    Download cd loader from http://www.swapmagicfix.com/CDLoader.zip
    burn the containing files to disc.
    Boot this with your swap magic cd.
    Hit x on the settings menu
    Insert disc id utility and press x
    It should then boot

15. diverine

diverine Member

My problem with Swap Magic CD is that the PS2 will NOT read it 9 out of 10! Gives me error messages....
    Any ideas?

16. OmicronBP

OmicronBP Member

thanks for the ideas guys. Deverine: I already knew to put the white pin back, but thanks anyway. I've actually made some progress. my DVD 2.0 disc still doesn't work, but I'm able to bypass it by refreshing the TOC with my Tiger Woods 2005 disc. everything seems to be working properly with swap magic now, but unfortunately most of the games I burn freeze up sometime during their load process. the only one I've gotten to backup successfully so far is GTA: San Andreas. all the others freeze up.