1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swap magic stopped working

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by aleksand0, Apr 21, 2005.

1. aleksand0

aleksand0 Member

my ps2 wont play any of my backups anymore i get the red border everytime i load a game and press x. i have a no solder chip. every original works. tried cleaning laser. ANY HELP.

2. briyam

briyam Member

press square not x to do a special boot

3. aleksand0

aleksand0 Member

hmm why didnt i think of that... oh wait i did

4. litttlem

litttlem Member

how long did you have your swap magic, is it dirty or something like that??

5. ps24life

ps24life Member

unless your swap magic disk is really scratched, it sounds like chip has gone bad. went thru this same process about a year ago. good thing the place i bought the chip from offered a lifetime replacement. you might want to check that avenue.

6. aleksand0

aleksand0 Member

im thinking its the laser even thought the originals work they work pretty slowly and often have to recognize the disc again plus the chip does not look burnt or even less than perfect.

7. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

try taking your no solder modchip off and try the originals.if they work better then you know it has something to do with the modchip.if you have a modchip going out it could affect the play of originals.anyway at least you can definitely rule out the modchip if there is no change.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  8. briyam

briyam Member

hope everything works out!!!

"O wait thats sarcasm"

9. aleksand0

aleksand0 Member

well i took it out and the original game plays the same having to load every 5 mins

10. mrlip

mrlip Regular member

Your laser is dying. Try adjusting the voltage

11. aleksand0

aleksand0 Member

how would i go about adjusting the voltage

12. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

before you do that try cleaning your lens.you dont want to mess with stuff unless you have narrowed it down to that.first you would clean the lens then you would adjust the lens and if that doesnt fix it,at that point you would take other suggestions on what might be wrong.adjusting your voltage(i never heard of such a thing) is a very drastic step.and if that isnt your problem you might be very pissed it didnt work.

13. aleksand0

aleksand0 Member

that doesnt help at all post definite solutions

14. mrlip

mrlip Regular member

I did. Go on google and search for "adjusting laser voltage on your PS2". Exact same thing happened to my PS2, adjusted the voltage and all was well.

15. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

they say you need some kind of voltmeter and a little know how on electronics also.and they do tell you to clean your lens first.best way to clean your lens is to use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol.cleaner discs are good for routine cleaning not good for thorough cleaning.if you have a really dirty lens you should use the swab/alcohol method.not saying adjusting your voltage wont work but fixing your ps2 aint as easy as you telling people what is wrong and they know exactly what is wrong.there are multiple causes for your problem.like i said if you go to these guides on adjusting you voltage they are going to tell you to make sure your lens is thoruoghly cleaned and that is not the problem before you adjust the voltage.

also if you adjust your lens height you might be able to get it to work.if your laser is dying meaning the laser is not as strong as it was,then adjusting the lens closer to the disc could get it to work right.just like when your eyesight stars going out you have to get a little closer to things to see them.that sounds alot better than uping the voltage on something.sounds very risky,but if you dont mind the risk go ahead.but it would be kinda funny if your next post read:"anybody know any good deals on new ps2"

16. $UR13

$UR13 Guest

If your swap magic dvd version is scratched, you can use your cd zersion to boot "PS2" games!!! Just put in your cd version sm wait until it stop spinning, then "eject it" and put in a "BIG" PS2 game and then use your flip top or slide card to open tray and insert your backup and "BOOM".Get ready to play the game!!!

17. aleksand0

aleksand0 Member

it definitly isnt the modchip or the swap magic.
    im thinking its something with the laser and i did clean it.

18. Silver28

Silver28 Member