1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap magic to usb

Discussion in 'PS2' started by reddonkey, Mar 31, 2007.

1. reddonkey

reddonkey Member

Ive downloaded swap magic 3 and was wondering if i could copy it to my usb flash drive or exterbal hd instead of a disk, that way it could load off the flash or hd instead of having to swap disks or tape down sensors in ps2.

Ive never used it before, i just finished downloading several programs ( winimage, dvd decrypter, nero7, swap magic 3 ) so i basically want the easiest way tp play backed up games. Any suggestions on which method to use and best/easiest way to burn, aswell as if anyone has tried to copy swap to usb.

2. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

the only way to play back up games on a ps2 is to either have a modchip installed.

or

u need to buy a "loader disc". a disc that has been pressed the same as a ps2 game disc, so that when the ps2 boots up and reads the disc , it thinks that it has a "genuine ps2 game" in there.

swap magic is 1 such "loader disc" there are a few others out there.

u can use a bought copy of swap magic to look 4 a ELF file on a usb device to boot. (ELF file is the ps2 equivalent of a computer EXE file)

the ELF file that gets booted would neeed to be a program that supports usb hard drives or storage devices. ie Usbadvance or other homebrew applications.

the program that then gets booted up would look for and play games from a hard drive.

point is, ps2's do not check their usb ports for hard drives, there for u need some way of making the ps2 do so. using a bought copy is one way.

if u have a fat ps2 a memory card exploit may work, but i have never looked into that as i have a slim ps2.

and thats just if u want to play off a hard drive. if u want to use a burnt disc, u will need to block the sensors, unless u have a modchip.

as always correct me if i m wrong anyone

3. reddonkey

reddonkey Member

yea, im trying to get around the way of not buying anything to play backed up games. I have a slim ps2 aswell, and want some easy way of doing this. I can play burnt movies on my ps2 so im not sure why i cant load up a burnt copy of swap magic. I keep reading it has to be pressed because of data burst or something like that..yada yada

Theres got to be some way i can acheive this with what i have to work with ( 60 gig usb external drive, 1 gig usb flashdrive and a downloaded copy of swap magic ). If a burnt movie can be read, im sure theres got to be some program out there that will make the ps2 read a burnt copy of swap magic either on usb or disk.

Is there a way to load the ps2 with an orginal game in, perhaps a program on a usb drive and have sensors taped down and swap with another game which is backed up... i dunno, i know its easier to get it modded or have an orginal swap magic, but theres gotta be something out there...

4. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

i have heard about loading burnt games from a original dvd game with a high TOC.

but m undure of the specifics.

i m pretty sure there is no way around ur problem.

u NEED something to get the ps2 to look for the usb port for a hdd or usb pen.

as i said i m unsure about memory card exploits as i dont have a fat ps2 and have never looked into that.

otherwise i m sure u need swap magic (bought copy) to get the ps2 to look for elf file on usb device that will then in tun load a game from ther usb mass storage device.