1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swap magic without the tools

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by titoman, May 8, 2007.

1. titoman

titoman Member

i had the fat ps2 for a while but now it broke... and all i have is the swap magic dvd... i wanna get the slim ps2... so i was wonderin if there was any way to use the swap magic on the slim ps2 without gettin any of those tools... thnx

2. Narusuke

Narusuke Guest

Lol I probably shouldnt say this. But technically you can easily make your own Magic Keys 2 Set with some tape a bit of cotton. But anyway I wouldnt suggest it. But what I would suggest instead of all the tools like Magic Keys 2. Which I have but hate cuz I dont like the idea of that stuff in my Ps2 for some reason. Anyway Id suggest a fliptop (not the one that came with the ps2)

http://www.allmodchip.com/PS2_Slim_Flip_Top_p_16167.html

Its a very nice alternative and its only 14 bucks.

3. titoman

titoman Member

yeah i don't really have the funds to purchase any tools.... but i'd like to know how u can do the trick with the tape and cotton...

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

It's pretty easy if you know what you're suppose to do and what for. For the tissue mod, you do three things. First of all, roll up a tissue small enough to press the on/reset button, holding it firmly in place. The on/reset button is where one of the 3 PS2 sensors are which allows the PS2 to detect if the lid is open. Secondly, the next thing is the disc break (the thing that rubs the side of the PS2 game you inputted to the right of the laser. Get something firm yet small enough to hold it in place to the right so it doesn't get loose or anything. And third, the last sensor is under the hinges, which you can't see unless you open the PS2 up. The hinges are basically those two things that makes the flip-top flippable when you're opening and closing it. It's quite noticeable and there's one on each side of the slim PS2's laser. The last sensor, which basically looks like a switch you use to switch on the kitchen light or whatever, is underneath one of those -- mainly the one to the left of the laser. As for how to do this part, I suck at explaining it, lol. Sorry -_-. I believe you'll be better off getting the answer from someone else instead of me.

5. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

there is a guide for the tape and tissue mod with pictures its righthere

6. titoman

titoman Member

thnx for the explanation z3120

and big thnx to zoom for that guide

one more question though, how safe is doin this? what are the chances of ps2 just breakin

7. Narusuke

Narusuke Guest

Probably relatively small. No different than Magic Keys most likely. I just dont like the idea of ne thing inside the playstation like that xD. And even with Magic Keys 2 I still ended up taping the switch inside the console cuz the Key they give you is ridiculous to put in.

8. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

its actually 0% because your not soldering or touching the motherboard just some tissue and tape.

9. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

EDIT: nm.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  10. landras

landras Member

Hi why in the guide the guy saids: 3) Point B, the disc brake, can be ignored for all intensive purposes.
    thank you

11. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

It doesnt matter because if the disk stop isnt stopped it wont matter.

12. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

You actually don't have to do anything to "Point B". I've managed to play my games fine without it with only two of the 3 sensors blocked. As for why you would hold the disc break back, it depends what game. Some games require the use of the disc break while others actually work a bit better with it. As for which ones specifically, I won't say but if you ever have some weird problems, try tampering with the disc break (remove what's holding the disc break in place or place something there to hold it).