1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swapmagic and mgs3

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Burre123, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Burre123

Burre123 Member

Hi all,

I have a swapmagic and a slidecard. the swapmagic said version 3 when I ordered, but the DVD-disk says DVD 2.0 and the CD says 3.3. I am using the DVD. I am trying to play mgs3 DVD-R on a PAL PS2, but I keep getting a "?" in the upper left corner, and the game hangs. It just hangs sooner each time I try to play the game. I burnt the game on a Memorex DVD-R, I tried two times, first at 2x with Nero, then 1x with DVD decrypter.(both times with disc finalization)

My question is: what can I do to make he game run smoothly? Is the quality of my discs too low?(never had problems with DVDs...)

and do I have the latest version, that will work with a game this new?

2. uLie

uLie Member

Yea I had the same problem as you when using Memorex. For MGS3 go pick up some Maxell's Dvd-r or higher quality DVD's. My MGS3 on my Maxell DVD-r plays perfectly, I know because I beat the game already. And btw look for Maxell's or other DVD's made in Japan because I heard they are higher quality then those made in Taiwan. Sadly though I haven't found a DVD that plays San Andreas perfectly yet... :(

3. Burre123

Burre123 Member

Are you sure it is not because I have an older version of swapmagic? the DVD is 2.o...
    Did you get the same problems everytime the codec started up? everytime someone was supposed to start talking in the codec, the game froze..

4. okboz

okboz Regular member

Ive got version 3.3 dvd and mgs3 works fine with that so could be the swap disc version but i would suggest trying to burn to different media first before worrying too much

boz

5. r0c0

r0c0 Guest

i also have dvd 2.0 of swap magic and the game plays fine so it could be the media or the way you ripped the game or your burner. btw i used dvd +r (all my backups and till now they all work fine)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2005
  6. okboz

okboz Regular member

It will depend on your media and also your ps2. I have backed up all my games on dvdr- and work fine 100% of the time, no coasters as yet! Used Ritek Go4 discs at 2x with decrypter and thats it.

Hope this helps

Boz