1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapmagic copy?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by wick780, Oct 28, 2004.

1. wick780

wick780 Member

I just got swapmagic and a fliptop lid a week ago, my swap dvd is scratched or defective. It won't load up in the ps2 half the time, I have to keep reseting and finally it will read. (upwards to 30-40 trys).

My question is this. Is there a way to make a working copy of swapmagic or am I just screwed?

2. knapptown

knapptown Member

I hate to be the first to say it but I think you may be screwed. I would just go ahead and order another set of disk. I mean the cost of some new disk defintetly outweighs molesting your ps2 for an hour to get it to play.

3. knapptown

knapptown Member

The swap magic disk are pressed copies and you need an original to load your backups anyways. Copies of the swap magic disk will not work.

4. HelloWrld

HelloWrld Member

5. wick780

wick780 Member

Hmm ok, this is bothering me now. It seems my ps2 will not play ANY cds I can not boot my swapmagic cd, cdloaders, or even my gameshark now, i just used the gameshark before I got swapmagic and worked fine. DVDs play fine...well except for the swapmagic dvd. It just makes a horrible scratching noise whenever a cd is in. This one has me baffled. Any ideas?

6. dodirt77

dodirt77 Member

My ps2 stopped reading my gameshark until I turned it on its side and it works about 95% of the time. If I leave it down it will never read the disc.

7. gamelover

gamelover Member

Sounds like either your laser is on it's way out or needs a good clean. Try a DVD lens cleaner.

If not then it could need the tray/ laser angle setting back up. Can be difficult to do if you don't know what you are doing. Though there are guides out there.

You can buy new lasers from lots of places but you would have to fit it or pay to have it fitted, again guides are available. It would be more sensible to just buy a new PS2 and flip lid as PS2's do regularly break down and are known for it.

Also try sending the Swapmagic back to the shop you bought it from and getting a replacement disc.