1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWAT - Global Strike Team, won't load with Magic 3

Discussion in 'PS2' started by reddragon, Dec 14, 2003.

1. reddragon

reddragon Member

i've got a Magic 3.1 modchip installed in a V7 PS2.
    i've just rented out SWAT - Global Strike Team, so it's an original copy, and i can't play the game.
    it loads as far as the memory card checking screen, gives the small videos of the companies that made the game, and gives a short intro video that introduces the characters and the weapons
    after that, where you would expect the game to load to the title screen, all i get is the red screen that says 'please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 compatible disk'

tried a few times, same thing every time.
    i assume its because my ps2 is chipped, although i've never had this problem before.
    is there anything i can do to get it working?
    is there some sort of patch that i can apply to the game? (by making a backup copy of it?)

any help appreciated

2. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Hmmm. Maybe you need to turn off the chip. To turn off the magic 3.1.
    1. start in standby
    2. Hold the reset button until the ps2 logo comes on and then release. Then you can load orginal games from the browser.

But other problems it could be...
    1. The Disc has scatches on it, which would need to be a real bad scratch.
    2. The laser inside the ps2 needs to be cleaned. Buy a laser lens cleaner. You can buy it from stores like best buy or circuit city. I have a scotch brand.

So those are my only suggestions. Hope it works for u.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]PS2 v7
    Magic 3.1
    HP DVD 200i
    [/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2003
  3. c2xdgb

c2xdgb Guest

The same thing happens with a backup of SWAT with my magic chip. I was able to get the original to work though. It does some wierd double boot thing that I haven't seen other games do. After the intro it is like the game somehow reboots the system again.

4. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Yea! Well the orginal disc of SWAT should work fine as long as the magic 3.1 is disabled. But i have heard on another thread that SWAT will not work with the magic 3.1 chip. Just like Max Payne and Deus Ex won't work either. Because i have a magic 3.1 and my backup of Deus Ex wouldn't boot past the start screen. But SWAT wont work either because i think the magic 3.1 wont do double check, something like that. Thats why i think they came out with the Magic V (5). The Magic V (5) solves those problems and is said to boot up every game.

5. reddragon

reddragon Member

yep i've got the original working by turning off the chip (power up from standby by holding down the reset button until the blue light comes on, as you do for movies)

obviously this means i wont be able to play a backup of this game, as the chip will need to be on and therefore not load past the intro.

i've heard of this double-checking system before - and seen it in splinter cell, but the double check is between each level, which means you can play a level, save it at the end, then have to reset the console to load up the game and play the next level (havent played deus ex or max payne on ps2 though, got them on pc)

i was wondering if there was anyway around this protection, or a patch for swat?