1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching from modded to unmodded.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by eelbrain, Feb 12, 2008.

1. eelbrain

eelbrain Member

Alright I'll try to keep this as short as possible...

I bought an Xbox 360 in Taiwan when I lived in China and it was, of course, modded. I want very much to be able to play some games on Xbox Live, but I can't with the current Xbox, so I want to buy one that I *can* play online.

I was told (at Best Buy) that I wouldn't need to buy an entirely new system, just a hard drive. He said I'd be able to switch out between the hard drive that can play back ups to the hard drive that plays legitimate games, using the same system but different hard drives.

My first question: Is this possible? From what I've read on these forums, it doesn't seem like it. It seems like the flashing happens on the xbox's Dvd drive, not the HD.

If I can't do this, is it possible to simply use the HD from my modded xbox on my new unmodded one? I'd hate to buy the $349 model since I already have a hard drive.

Sorry for the complexity, but I really couldn't find the answer anywhere. Thanks for any help!

2. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

u can buy just the system from ebay for like $150

3. wabashman

wabashman Active member

the guy at best buy doesnt know what hes talking about. switching out the HDs will not save you from being banned, or 'allow' you to play on live. you are correct in thinking that it is the dvd drive thats modded instead of the HD. as SL7Rips stated, you should just buy a bare-boned console instead. then you can switch your original HD back and forth between the modded and unmodded console. i do this, and it works perfectly fine. if you wanted to save even more money, just buy a broken 'red ring of death' 360 on ebay for like 100 bucks, make sure the warranty seal is on it still, and send it into MS for free replacement.

4. eelbrain

eelbrain Member

Thanks, that sounds like the way to go for me!