1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Symptoms of V7 & Magic 3.1

Discussion in 'PS2' started by tadhg, Feb 11, 2004.

1. tadhg

tadhg Member

I was silly enough to order a Magic 3.1 before reading up enough about it and didn't realise that it doesn't boot all games on a v7.I know there are loads of posts related to this.Can someone just confirm what the symptoms are please.I'm going to get a chip that works with v7 and will give the Magic 3.1 to a friend.Is a red screen of death the main symptom?

2. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Yes - the red screen of death.

The Magic 3.1 only initializes when you tap reset, and then goes to sleep shortly thereafter. Therefore, all of the doublecheck games out there will kick you to that red screen every save point in the game.

You need a Magic V or DMS3 to work around this.

3. tadhg

tadhg Member

I get the red screen as soon as I power up the PS2. It won't boot games at all. The only way I can play originals is by putting the chip to sleep. Is this the same problem or is there more wrong than just the compatibility with v7?
    (Doesn't really matter because I'm going to get a different chip anyway).

4. WEStar

WEStar Active member

there's only 3 games that I know of that won't work on a v7 with magic3.1...maxpayne, maxpayne2 and splinter cell. splinter cell works but freezes or something like that when you try to save. I've been told you can get these games to work properly by using CD loader. To me it sounds like there's more wrong than just compatibility issue.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  5. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

There are many others as well. Such as:

1. Starsky and Hutch
    2. Simpsons Hit and Run
    3. Manhunt

6. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold] Brad: manhunt is NOT a double check game. i have a v7 with magic 3.1 and i'm able to play manhunt fine.

7. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

My bad, my bad!!

I was told it was.

I used to keep up on this issue as I used to have a 3.1 Magic.

There are probably quite a few more games that have double-check that I don't know of. If there isn't - why the hell did I upgrade 4 machines??
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]AMD Athlon 1800+
    Sony DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW
    Verbatim Data-Life Plus
    Windows XP Pro
    Sony Playstation 2 V.9
    Magic V50K[/bold]
    [​IMG][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2004