1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sync'ing clock...

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mrlewp, Apr 4, 2004.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Trying to sync clock , using DSL. Worked in past! Now I get an error saying "peers stratum is less than the hosts stratum"
    Huh???
    Went to help link for clock sync'ing. Mentiioned firewall settings..
    perhaps blocking access to "NTP" I think it was. Whatever, I did not find any link in firewall list that resembled that OR the only two choices showing as sites for clock sync'ing.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Stratum is how NTP determines which time to believe. The peer with the highest stratum is the one that would be used for time sync. It sounds like your pc thinks it has a higher stratum than the time server you are connecting to. That leads to a couple questions:
    You said it was working before, what has changed since then?
    Is your PC running it's own NTP service? If so, it thinks it has a higher stratum than the one you are trying to connect to so it gives you that message and the sync request is dropped. Check Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services and see if you have a Network Time or something like that running. Stop the service and see if you can connect then.
    Another thing to look for in your firewall is deny's on Port 123. NTP usually uses TCP port 123 but can use UDP as well.

3. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Think problem has self-corrected. Thought about firewall...havent looked into that. Thanks