1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synthesizer midi to usb/firewire ?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by askyew, Aug 23, 2004.

1. askyew

askyew Regular member

My son has a keyboard and wants to connect it to the computer via 5pin midi to usb/firewire. I really cant find what I need to capture the music. Will any recorder like nero 6 or windows recorder capture it from the usb/firewire port? Will XP automatically recognize the keyboard/synthesizer? Thanks in advance and if this belongs somewhere else sorry.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 2.8c @ 3.2
    Abit IC7-G
    2x80 gb seagates barracudas
    ATI AIW 9600 soft mod by w1zzard
    2 x 256 pc 3200 Kingston valueram(hynix chips)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  2. askyew

askyew Regular member

^^bump^^ anyone? everyone? none?

3. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

im not sure i can help but...

when i have midi'd my keyboard with this PC i used a soundfonts proggy - but i used a midi input on my SB live drive not a midi to usb. i have never heard of such a lead for connecting midi equip to a pc

can you give me more info ? would love to try it

Es

4. askyew

askyew Regular member

Hiya EsirnuS, you can buy a five pin midi to usb cord at best buy but I am not sure how to use it for recording. I was trying to find out if anyone here had used it before. Is soundfonts a free program or did it come with your sb live? If the cord wasn't 20 bucks I would have just bought it and tried to figure it out from there. I probably am going to buy it anyway if someone here cant give me an answer. I figure that XP will recognize it and I can record from there.

5. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

askyew

done a bit of looking around and actually bought a midi to usb lead from Maplins here in UK.

havent tried it yet myself, but the guys in the shop said it should work a treat wit the right software for recording

i need to have a scout around for that now but will probably end up with a copy of cubase or cakewalk they seem to stand out the best for midi recording.

cheers

Es