1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Crashing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lennon112, Jan 13, 2005.

1. lennon112

lennon112 Member

For some reason when running DVDShrink, during the encoding my system sometimes crashes. It doesnt do this all the time but enough to be annoying. Does anyone here have any idea as to why this is happening and what I can do to stop it? I always shut down all open programs and my system is running off 256MB of ram.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

It's probably over heating.

3. colw

colw Active member

Agree - either overheating or sypware/virus on your system.

4. lennon112

lennon112 Member

Yeah it might be over heating. AT first I thought it was virus/spyware but I have run both spybot and AVG and they have brought up nothing. Any advice on how to keep the system from overheating?

5. colw

colw Active member

Try taking of the cover and use an external fan to see if it is of any help.

I would also suggest running AVG and Spybot in Safe Mode - ensure that your definition files are up to date. There are some memory reside programs that will continue to reload in normal mode.

Would also suggest Adaware SE on your system for additional safeguard.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Refrigeration...

What kind of PC is it, brand and model, and give us some specs on the system, along with how old it is an how much use and or abuse it's seen? Just cleaning a fan housing and the inside of the case sometimes helps, it just depends on whether it is a hardware problem or a problem with ventilation and cooling. An analysis program like sisoft sandra can run a test on the CPU. It's sometimes a fine edge between having faulty components breaking down or even adding to overheating or the system overheating and causing the problem from inadequate cooling.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

The above is if you're having hardware problems. It could easily be that your system is overloaded and there are not enough system resources to run all the programs. You have processes and programs running in the background on many PCs. You may have more than you're aware of. Try opening the task manager and check the system while the recording is going on.