1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

system error 21 question

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by dishcrazy, Oct 14, 2007.

1. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

You didn’t mention that you had another xbox, If you would of mentioned that sooner you wouldn’t have needed to build a AR controller saving your xbox controller. You could of used your other xbox to transfer the games saves directly to memory card my means of FTP.

2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I would suggest that you upgrade the hard drive ASAP of the xbox that contains the Thompson drive. Phillips and Thompson dvd drives tend to have laser burnouts, meaning the laser just dies out. Samsung dvd drives are the best and will outlast the life of the xbox but can be hard to find, the other two are everywhere. You should play from hard drive as much as you can and try to use the dvd drive only to minimum. The laser is not eternal. You should only use the drive to create backups and strictly play from hard drive. This only extends the life of the dvd drive.

3. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

great loco thanks a million

quote When playing directly form the hard drive, the game region settings must be set to "NTSC North America". If its currently set to "Default", some games won't load and will kick back to the dashboard screen unless you change it.

How do you change this is it something in the xbox or the game that needs to be chamged

im goin to DL the IMGBURN PROG now and give it a try

also i have a samsung on order as for the AR with the controller i can unclip it and put my extention plug on the controller i use that one just for the purpose that way it wasn't rendered uselss

ALso when i want to put the game on the harddrive how do i load it on

thanks man

4. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The southern cali wind blew my satellite dish right off the my roof. I've been at it all day adjusting the angle degree, battling against the wind. Being without the my internet connection seemed eternal during that time span.

The game region is changed within the system settings of the dashboard. Games are place in the root directory of E and F. Create a folder named "Games" and within transfer xbox games.

5. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

cool ill give it a try to see if i can sort that out i used the imgburn and put the setting to 2.4 and the game worked awesome

loco heres one for ya ok......man your goin to love this

k i got like 3 xboxs here with dead drives(including a samsung) now i have all 3 softmodded using the one good drive i have

question is am i able to ftp a few games to the harddrive and play off it without a drive....i know i know my head hurts

thanks man

6. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

On this one we’ll both learn something. When you boot a xbox without the dvd drive connected you get error 12 and usually it doesn’t allow you to boot the dashboard.

Power up one of your boxes that doesn't have a dvd drive, an see if it boots the dashboard. I have 2 boxes but the dvd drives haven’t broken down yet, I wouldn't know. Check and see.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  7. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

It doesn't boot the dashboard, because it doesn't get passed the error screen. You will be able to use the xbox that has the working dvd drive. You can transfer games to the other boxes, but the working dvd drive must be connected.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  8. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

Awesome....k heres what i was thinkin i haven't done it yet but im goin to try i goin to keep the dead drive in after i place the game on the harddrive and this way the error 21 won't kick in and then try to play from the HD

ill let ya know how i make out on this

9. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Having the dead dvd drive connected, does it give an error code? If it doesn't, your in luck. Sometimes the laser won't read discs but it won't give an error code. If gives error 11 when you boot the xbox, the drive is completely dead, and it will require a working drive in order to boot into the dashboard.

10. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

hey the samsung dvd drive that i have won't read but it doesn't give me a dirty disk error either so it should work correct....so i need dvd2xbox to transfer the games correct

if this works im goin to try to get a hugh HD to put a ton of games on and play the crap out of it.....lol

11. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

If it boots the dashboard, you can do anything except use the dvd drive. To transfer games you don't need dvd2xbox, you can use it if you're going to rip directly from disc into hard drive.

You can FTP games.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  12. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The box the has the working drive, you'll use to backup games into your pc, then transfer to the box you want to use just to play directly from the hard drive. Since you only have one working dvd drive, you may want to use it only to softmod or to backup your games.

13. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

thanks man you been great....i got a ton of stuff to try and ill be back after i get them done
    also i was wondering if theres a way to trick the xbox into thinking theres a dvd drive in it so if you remove the tray completely and just cap the opening that it would not show the error 21 or the dirty disk as well.......ill see what i can do and get back to ya on this as well

thanks

14. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

There is a way to trick the xbox into thinking that there's a dvd drive connected. I'll have to do some research, a friend of mine made the slim version of the xbox, I helped, but the matter was that the internal parts of the drive were removed and certain components of the drive were soldered, rewired. Since I've been forced to evacuate my home due to the wild fire that has attacked california this past week it'll take some time for me to get back to you on that.

15. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

Hey man well i hope all stuff you got goin on works out in your favor i been watching the news on that i hope you all the best