1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

system specs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jellyink, Dec 11, 2004.

1. jellyink

jellyink Member

Hey.

Will I be able to use a DVD burner on an Intel Celeron 633mhz with 63 MB SDRAM? I have enough disk space, I'm just a bit concerned about the ram.

It doesn't matter to me if it can only burn at 1x, I just want to know if it'll work.

Cheers.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't think the processor speed will be a big problem but I have read that RAM should be at least 256mb. HD space with some safty added should be around 15gig. Hang loose on this thread and I'm sure you will get some other opinions. This is just one members out look on your system. Good luck.

Jerry

3. jellyink

jellyink Member

I'm planning to use DVD Shrink, so wouldn't 8 GB+ be enough? The RAM is the only real thing thats worrying me.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Windows will error out before you actually fill the HD completely. If you only have 8 gig left it will probably work for a dvd 5 backup but may not work for the larger dvd 9 dual layer movies out there. Some claim 10 gig will be enough but thats still cutting it close.

Jerry

5. Marvo

Marvo Member

If you're going to be burning, you're probably running XP, right? Microsoft recommends a minimum of 128 MB of ram but says XP can run with as low as 64 MB. Burning is a CPU and ram intensive operation so coupled with XP's ram requirements, it looks like your computer is going to be caching alot to the hard drive. It might even crash your system. Like Jerry746 says, 256+ MB of ram.

6. jellyink

jellyink Member

Actually, I'm on Windows Millenium.

7. Marvo

Marvo Member

Windows ME requires a minimum of 32 MB so you might be able to pull it off, just barely. Make sure you have your file system set at NTFS and not FAT32. This is because FAT32 has a file size limitation of 4 GB and most dvd movies are more than that.