1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R 100 pack at $45

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by senior, Nov 29, 2004.

1. senior

2. jbelder

jbelder Member

They are junk only good burns @4x. Prodiscs are way better media than these junkers I bought.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  3. Marvo

Marvo Member

jbelder, what burner and firmware do you have? Has anyone bought these and sucessfully burned at 8X and what kind of burner did you use?

4. jbelder

jbelder Member

Iam using a Pioneer Dvr-108 with 1.14 firmware which with Pioneers stock firmware these are supposed to burn @ 12x .Which I did a bunch of Pi/Po tests on they were in the high 700's on the Pi and high 500's on the Po.That was at 12x then I did some 8x tests at there stock rated speed and they were still in the high 500's on Pi and high 300's on Po.So i tested them at 4x and they came out ok 148 on the Pi and 78 on the Po. Prodisc 8x 75 on Pi and 45 on Po. The 4x Prodisc are even better 35 on Pi and 25 on Po. So I think I will keep using Prodisc. Thats what I normaly use all the time anyway for the last couple of years better than Riteks too had the same problem with 8x Riteks G05 just plan junky media anymore they were in the high 500's too. The Taiyo Yudens and Riteks came from Rima both aroun .45 cents.I buy all my media from Rima the mid code on the Taiyo's are TYGO2.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  5. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

I'm not sure what your smoking jbelder, but Taiyo Yuden is some of the best media you can buy. Prodisc is garbage. I guess I've had exactly the opposite experience that you've had. I'm using a plextor px-712a, maybe its the burner? Thanks for the link Senior

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2004
  6. kchev

kchev Regular member

i use these same discs and they are top of the line discs

i have about 300 of them and they burn perfect

scans are very good

7. jbelder

jbelder Member

Like the saying goes to each his own. Whatever works for you llongtheD.Considering Pioneer blows Plextor out of the water in quality of burning. Ive have burnt thousands of Prodiscs with killer results plus I haven't been smoking anything if you like em use em. Just my two cents on the taiyos ive got.Its these Taiyos that are garbage thought they were supposed to be good but the numbers don't lie use your plextor tools do some testing not just disc scanning.

8. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

Pioneer blows plextor out of the water? Now that is funny!

9. kchev

kchev Regular member

i did. with kprobe and cd/dvd speed
    near perfect scans with nec, sony, and liteon burner

10. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Not only is it funny, it is nonsense!

11. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

I agree, Pioneer makes the best dvd burners while Plextor made the best cd burners.

12. jbelder

jbelder Member

Thats what I was saying!

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Both my 108s work a treat, but I will be investing in a Plextor ROM soon!

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I just had to had my thoughts to this thread as I found it rather interesting.

First as far as the Prodisc Vs. Taiyo Yuden well I have burned about 150 Taiyo Yuden disks and close to 100 of the Prodisc's now and I have to say they are both very good disk's and both test almost identical. So I would say it is a tie the deciding factor could be the price, but TY's have been good and dependable forever Prodisc Has just recently started making good media. So the question would be do we count on Prodisc to keep this up? I sure hope so or do we stick with a proven brand that has always been flawless?? I will keep with the Prodisc'c until they go to crap then I will switch back to TY's :)

As far as the debate of the DVD writer's Pioneer Vs. Plextor. Well I Don't own the Plextor, but have had a lot of there CD Burners, but if you do a simple search threw AD on the plextor a lot of people are having problems with there Plextor DVDR's. I really want to get one just because I want the SATA capability, but I have an old DVR105 that will burn any media I stick in it perfectly fine without exception. I would find it hard for the Plextor to be any better, the same maybe, but better I doubt. My NEC2500 is the same I have never ever had a problem burning any media. yet I see a lot of post's here about one burner not liking certain media try different media. I shouldn't have to worry about what media I put in my writer it should burn any blank DVDR media I put in it, and so far I have been able to, and I think I have tried just about every media available out there. I also work in a computer shop and have installed a lot of DVD/RW drives in computers lately, and I have to say that we get a lot of the plextor people back having issues with there drive. I think we recieved one system back with the Pionner drive. I just think the Pioneer is not as buggy as the Plextor right now. The Plextor works very well with correct firmware and the right media, but hopefully they get this all fixed with newer firmware because then I will be buying one. :) OK I'm done yapping now

[​IMG]