1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Whitfield, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

I am about to purchase 100 disks and would like to know if buying 8X media (Taiyo Yuden)is preferable to buying Ritek 4X media--considering that I can only burn at a maximum of 4X anyway. I can not find DVD+R Taiyo Yuden 4X--I have found DVD-R 4X--but that does not help me. I am using a HP DVD 300C writer. So, I guess the question is, is it better to burn the 8X TY at 4x -OR- the Ritek 4X at the rated speed. Thanks for any input.

Whitfield

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The Taiyo Yudens!!!!! You can always burn at lower speeeds than the disk is rated for, and TY's are far superior to Ritek. Get the TY's you will not be dissapointed.. :)

3. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

bbmayo--
    Thank you for the advice--Do you know if they even make DVD+R in 4X? I think I read somewhere that it is best to burn at the rated speed of the disk--not true I guess?

Whitfield

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Not true at all!! who the heck said that? The rated speed is the maximum speed you can burn at not the preffered speed. I dont want to get into a big indepth discussion about media, but simply the higher speed media is generally of higher quality because the glue holding it together is stronger and the dye on the disk is applied to the disk much better. If you search around on the net you might be able to find some old x4 disk, but why? TY quit making x4 so if you find any they are just left over stocks. By the way I use the x8 speed TY's white inkjet printable and always burn at x4... :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

Not true at all. Many people recording DVD video use slower speeds to reduce the possibility of write errors. I have a batch of 100 Fuji-Taiyo Yuden discs that are 8X +R that I'm burning at 4X and the Video comes out great. I recently finished off a batch of 100 4X +R RICOHJPN media (Fuji) and the 4X at 4X was excellent as well. By the way, Ricoh is a top manufacturer. Anyway, slow burn speeds often result in higher quality burns even when the write speeds are rated higher.

Verbatim, Samsung, Maxell, and Emgeton sell or have sold the TY 4X +R. So, Taiyo Yuden (TY) has or had a 4X +R media. There is still plenty of 4X media available, even if TY may have quit production of the 4X.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2005
  6. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

bbmayo --
    Thank you so much--Just ordered 100 of the 8X for $43 from Supermedia--they also have DVD cases on special buy 100 and get 100 for free--$27 for 200--seems like a great deal so getting that too--have a great day--

Whit

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

brobear--

Thank you too--I learn more every time I come to this forum--I finally purchased AnyDVD and CloneDVD2--starting to get pretty good at this--still a long way to go though --editing etc. Have a great day!

Whitfield

8. brobear

brobear Guest

What was the link at supermedia? Just out of curiosity, did the $43 include shipping or was that additional? I checked out Supermedia and they had different sites listed for the TY media. I found a 100 batch of RICOHJPNR01 4X +R Philips for $29.95 (another site). With the shipping though, it came to about $39 by the time I would recieve them; about 39 cents per disc. I've burned a few hundred of those and know personally that Ricoh is one of the better discs. It doesn't hurt that many of the sites that do reviews agree with that. I like both the Ricoh and TY media and it just depends which I can get the best price on when I go to make a purchase.

BTW, you're welcome.

9. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

ya, supermediastore is offering $3 and $4 off coupons for the 8x silver thermals with free shipping. Even though i have a couple hundred of the 4x TYs, I might have to pick up a few more spindles, the price is just too good to pass up.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

I was looking at the Supermediastore prices. $43 and $44 per hundred on sale and then another $10 shipping (+R media). One is looking at $54 per 100 delivered making the per disc cost about 54 cents. At those prices, I know I'll go with the 39 cent Ricohs ($29.95 for 100 before shipping).

11. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

This is the link for the TY media--does not include shipping--http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-plus-r-media.html-- I think they also have the Ricoh for 29.95 including shipping--the DVD Cases do not include shipping if you get the buy 100 get 100 free deal--as usual the comparison has to be done after you figure what the shipping will cost--

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I can't believe I am hearing this from you Brobear??? LOL I didnt think price was as important as quality to you? remmember the DVDC3 vs CDVD2 war :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  13. brobear

brobear Guest

I didn't see it as a war. Also, if you paid attention to my words, I consider Ricoh as fine a quality media as the TY. I've used them both with excellent results.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that the same media is sold under different brands. Often, if one knows what they're looking for, they can get a good buy on quality merchandise. The same $29.95 RICOHJPNR01 I buy as Philips is the same as that I could buy under the Sony, Fuji, Verbatim, TDK, Imation, and Maxell brands. Memorex even sold it at one time. As you know, price depends on where you purchase and the quantity. A hundred pack of some of those at some stores can run in excess of $100. So, I try to be sensible enough to buy the better product at the lower prices, meaning sales and bulk purchases. The last 100 spindle of TY media cost $40 including shipping. So, the Ricoh I mentioned was only a penny or so less than the previous TY purchase. I hate crappy media, but I do like a good sale where I can get the high quality media at the bargain prices. LOL The joke is on people who spend too much for media and shop brands instead of the manufacturer that produces the disk.

If you look at some of those ads in supermedia, it is false advertising. They say the disc is manufactured by the brand. A prime example is Memorex. Memorex sells media produced by other manufacturers. I don't know of a single DVD format that Memorex manufactures on its own (remember CMC). The same holds true for many other brands. Some brands manufacture only part of their line. So, laugh if you will, I'll just smile at my savings on the good "stuff". LOL

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok I had a poor choice of words I know it wasent a war. I was just messin with ya and I whole hardedly agree with you 100%. The average use doesn't know how to find the cheaper priced quality media though. I am the same as you except I go for the Prodisc from supermedia. I have had nothing but quality burns, and the ones I used almost 8 months ago still play perfect. Some people do better with certain brand's than others do, but not to many (hardly any) have any problems with true Taiyo Yuden disk's. Your preachin to the choir Brobear Iam with ya, and sorry if ya took the last post the wrong way. :)

15. brobear

brobear Guest

You should know by now that I'm not that thin skinned. Much of what I write, when I take the time for a lengthy post, is for the new members as well as the person I address. Sometimes more so, especially when I have an idea they already know what I'm talking about. "Preaching to the choir" is appropriate. Hopefully some outside the "choir" got the message as well. You'd be surprised how many people aren't aware of the manufacturer and brand situation as far as media sales go. I just took the opportunity you presented to get up on the soap box and tell everyone what a crap shoot it can be going to the local shop and buying media by brand name alone.

16. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hey Guys--
    I wholeheartedly agree wiyth both of you--but, let me ask a question--If I buy TY Branded mail-order--I will get TY Branded--However if I buy any of the others--Maxell, Sony, Verbatim, etc, they may be made by TY but unless I see them first how would I know? I have purchased those brands retail, because I can look at the package--But if I want TY then I have to order TY--I have also used the branded Ricoh/Ridata with great results (so far)--Only been doing this for about a year and when I started I used various disks that were on sale--Hey, I was just learning! In the beginning I even bought those $19/100 cheapo's from a competitor and my burner wouldn't even recognize--sent them back and still waiting for a refund!So, you think I should just get the better deal with the Ritek--Had good experience with them, so why not save the $$ ??

Thanks again

Whitfield

17. brobear

brobear Guest

That was part of the point I was making. As long as you get the same media from the brand. Ritek-Ridata had been selling Ricohjpn coded media as the +R offering. Now they've started selling Ritek +R. Ritek has also been changing some of their dyes. So, I would speak with customer service to make sure I was getting the same media when buying the Ritek.

As far as getting a particular manufacturer's media when buying a brand, you can have decent odds if you check the databases to see what formats a brand is selling by a particular manufacturer. I haven't checked it recently, but Fuji 4X +R was Ricoh and the 8X +R was TY. HP has been Mitsubishi (MCC); another top manufacturer. Some databases allow searching by brand and manufacturer for cross referencing. The only poor purchase I made in the past couple of years was when Memorex switched from Ricoh to CMC for the 4X +R media. I didn't catch on fast enough and I made a small purchase of the CMC at a local shop. So, a bit of searching on the net can make one a bit more informed about what they're buying. The brands do change without informing anyone, so there is still the chance of being surprised. That's why I make sure of the guarantee and return policy of the vendors I do business with.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Here is a good situation for you; buying Verbatim. Purchasing the AZO metal dye DATALIFE Plus discs, you run the chance of getting media by different manufacturers. However, those discs are the ones made by top suppliers like MCC and TY. To me, it wouldn't make any difference between the 2. They're both top quality manufacturers. Ricoh has been an easy manufacturer to buy across the brands. Ricoh manufactures a lot of the +R media for several top brands. So if a format is made by top manufacturers or you can limit it to 1 top manufacturer, then there isn't much chance of going wrong with a purchase. That's the tactics I've used for my media purchases the past couple years and it's worked well for me.