1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taiyo Yuden. A 'Thicker' CD-R?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by coh2000, Aug 5, 2009.

1. coh2000

coh2000 Member

I have just purchased some Taiyo Yuden blank CD-Rs, and I am having a problem with the 1st 2 in my car 'single play' CD player.
    Are these CD-Rs 'thicker' than most others. They do not want to completely load on the 1st try and then they have a very hard time being 'ejected'
    They just seem to get stuck in the player.
    The 2nd one finally ejected and now I'm afraid to try again.

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The specifications for thickness are quite strict but easy for compliance except in the case of printable discs whose coatings must be carefully monitored to ensure that the total thickness does not exceed specification. The same is true for CD-R discs with paper labels attached to them. (Paper labels on a CD-R are OK if the adhesive is designed for discs; paper labels on a DVD+/-R are extremely likely to damage the disc.)

If the discs have a hard coating on them, they may be sticking in the drive due to moisture if you live in an area with high humidity. This can also cause problems with ink-jet printable coatings. If the discs work in drier conditions, the stiction may be the reason they are hard to eject.

3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

You are not using printed or stick on labels are you? Just a curious question but only reason I could think of why they are thicker and having trouble ejecting.

4. coh2000

coh2000 Member

These Taiyo Yuden are made with the ability to print directly on the cd I believe. I haven't done that. No paper labels either.
    Perhaps this is the reason. An extra coating or something got printing purposes. The car cd player is a single cd one that catches the cd when you give it a start into the slot, then pulls it in the rest of the way. It didn't want to load either.

5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I've used the shiny TY disks in a Ford and Toyota CD players without any issues. You've got me perplexed here.

6. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Slot-load players have little forgiveness in the thickness of a disc or the condition of either of both surfaces, top and bottom. Tray load drives use a clamp that holds the disc in place, and thickness is not critical. Only the bottom layer has to be in excellent condition for the laser to read (assuming there is no damage to the more fragile upper surface on CD-Rs).

My guess is that the printable surface of the discs is a problem for the rollers and guides, either because of stiction or extra thickness or a combination of both. If the discs work in dryer conditions, then stiction is the cause. (Humidity also causes the absorptive polymer coating on ink-jet printable discs to swell, and the discs may then be at the extreme range of the thickness tolerance while the player is set to the opposite extreme. Drier conditions--run the air conditioner for a half hour or so to make it dryer in the car--may allow the discs to play.)

7. coh2000

coh2000 Member

As a test, I burned another cd on an 'Office Depot' CD-R that I got at the office. It fed into and rejected without a problem in my car cd player. I was afraid that the player was the problem, but now I think that it is that coating on the TY that is there for printing which I am not going to use anyway.