1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taiyo Yuden and TDK

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kenkell, Feb 5, 2005.

1. kenkell

kenkell Member

Has anyone had any bad experiences burning from tdk disc to a Taiyo Yuden disc! I've had good luck with the TDKs but thinking of swithching to TY's since everyone seems to swear by them. Does the TY"s play in most dvd players? No one I've ever burnt dvds for has ever had a problem being able to play a tdk burnt disk. Is the Taiyo Yudens just as acceptable nowadays.
    Any info would be helpful! Who's got the best deal going for the Taiyo Yuden discs?

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Taiyo Yuden brand disks will play in all dvd players. The use the highest quality dye, so it'd be very suprising to find a dvd player they wouldn't work in. I used TDK before switching to TY. TDK's were totally reliable for me, so I'm sure you could copy TDK to TY. As long as the TDK disks weren't filled with CRC rad errors, there shouldn't be a problem there. I buy all my TY from meritline. They have the best prices and they best selection.

3. kenkell

kenkell Member

Thanks for your reply! I have about 200 burned movies on tdk +R discs and when I want to burn a copy for friends, I can only hope not to have a problem! Based on your experiences I will be switching soon. I use the TDK 8x DVD+R. Do you think switching to the TY's DVD-R would be a problem or should I stick with the +R? I'm considering buying a bulk amount of the TY's and just want to make sure there isn't any problems. I seen that supermediastore.com has a sale on TY's at 100 4x DVD-R for $35 but not the +R. What do you think? Is surpermediastore reliable? I've never bought any blank media on line before from them before!

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

dvd-r's have been around longer then dvd+r's, so you should have no problems with dvd player compatability.

supermedia is the #1 rated online media retailer at digitalfaq.com. hears what they have to say about the store:
    Rated #1. Supermediastore.com. Our favorite place to shop (since early 2004). In recent months, this store has begun to stock many great items, especially when it comes to blank media. And the prices are among the best around. Shipping is lightning fast, and real people answer the phone if you need to call for anything. Not one single "out of stock" problem to date! A division of Linkyo.

digitalfaq.com hasnt been updated in a few months, but all those things should still be true. And their TY sale is pretty darn good. I think I might have to pick up a few spindles myself. thanks! :)

5. kenkell

kenkell Member

Thanks! I think I'm going to purchase the 100 pack for $35! I hate to ask again, but you don't think I'll have any problems burning from +R to -R? I've burned alot, but don't know much about either format and any burning related problems from one to the other! I'd rather not find out after I wasted alot, ya know? Thanks aagain for your time!

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Well, ok, I can't say for sure, since I have never had any reason to try. But I can't imagine there being any possible reason for that not to work. Theres not a huge amount of difference between the two formats. DVD+r just sprang up because a few companies didn't want to pay royalties for using the dvd-r format.

Like I said, I would be very suprised if you weren't able to copy +r to -r, very suprised. But since I can't speak from personal experience, I would suggest, instead of just taking my word on it, to buy a cheap 5 pack of dvd-r from a brick and morter, and testing it out before you buy a larger quantity.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  7. kenkell

kenkell Member

Thanks! Just to be sure I'll ask around on another post and see if someone can tell me more! I doubt it would be a problem either, but just want to find out as much as I can before making the switch!

8. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

As long as your PC dvd reader/writer is compatible with both types, dvd+r and dvd-r, you won't have a problem, burning, or ripping from one to another.

9. kenkell

kenkell Member

It probably won't considering it is a new dell computer with a philips 16 dual layer burner.
    Thanks!

10. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

I don't know the model of your burner, but dual layer does not mean dual format.

11. kenkell

kenkell Member

It's a Philips dvd+-RW dvd 8631

12. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

Well your in business then, just make sure you have the latest firmware. Here's a link.
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php, or go to the firmwarepage from a search on google.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2005
  13. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

kenkell @ 6. February 2005 @ 18:14
    Supermediastore.com is reliable. I ordered two spindles of TY about a month ago and they arrived on time and in good condition. They have a great shipping map that shows how long it will take for the items to arrive for you too. Good service so far, hope it stays that way.